1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old are the computers in your office?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Apr 13, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

So I've heard. :)

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Ours work just fine.

[​IMG]

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I think our desk guys got new stuff last year. Maybe just the monitors.

Around the same time, the reporters said goodbye to their PCs and now just carry laptops everywhere, docking them in the office to a docking station that saves all the files to a roaming profile/hard drive thingy.

If your laptop is on the fritz, so is your office computer, because now they are one and the same.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm not sure how old it is, but Tandy sounds pretty new age.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Depends on your definition of old... can you still get parts for a TRS-80?

6. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

my laptop is 6+ years old. The computer at my desk less than 6 months (G5), so I guess I don't have room to gripe ... until I'm out on the road.

7. i can't believe I used to use one

never crashed though

[​IMG]

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Old.

<sarcasm> Wait a minute, I thought you were talking about the computer's PROGRAMS... not the computer's themselves.</end sarcasm>

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

10. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

You get an IT guy? That's fresh. I know I launched one of the complaints you are referencing, and this thread is a bit of an eye-opener. I figured we were further in the past than anyone based on the fact that every other paper I've ever filed a story from has fairly modern equipment. And an IT guy. What a biz.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The good old trash-80s.... from the days before wireless internet and the days before you could plug a phone line directly into the computer. I remember using the acoustic couplers with those things.

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

Damn, that's old!

Draft saved Draft deleted