1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Often Should You Write A Great Write...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, May 2, 2012.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Here is my question for the day, and remember I'm still trying to resolve the fact I don't tweet enough during spring football and softball....

The link below is to a story about a football player from Delaware State -- who is in my conference -- who lost his brother and has been dealing with Post-traumatic stress. This is the kind of stuff I want to be doing more of and need to be doing more of, but alas, I also have to reconcile my tweeting frequency.

My question is: How often should writers such as us crank out writes such as this? Monthly? Bi-weekly? I look forward to this discussion

http://cnnsi.com/2012/writers/the_bonus/04/24/jaashawn.jones/

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

As often as it comes up. You can't manufacture a story with that kind of power. It depends on your coverage area...the bigger it is, the more likely and often you should be able to find more meaty, powerful stories like this.

But to me it isn't something you can put a quota on. Its entirely dependent on something like that happening. Some years you might write 1, some years you might write 5.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

First, don't ever use write as a noun again. Second, get down on your knees and bless whatever you worship any time you get lucky enough to encounter stories like this -- then write them as best you can.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What's your space and what's you beat?

There are 30.5 front pages each month, and if you are a full time beat writer, I would say a minimum is two stories like this should be on a front page by you each month. In other words, you should always be working on one, and these stories are out there.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

We noun all kinds of verbs these days (and vice versa) but can't say I've heard of great writes. Good read? Sure.

6. daytonadan1983

Michael_Gee...

I was using Tebow as a verb when he was a freshman at Florida...

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I can use the word "fuck" in many, many ways.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm 99 percent sure daytonadan is smallpotatoes.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Doesn't daytonadan write for a university athletic's website? I'm sure athletes on every team have a unique story. It's really up to you to write things that are worth reading.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

We're twice-weekly, so about 10 sports fronts each month...I'd like to get in a major feature along these lines every other week, but more realistically is once a month. Although that number goes up quickly in the summer when we run our "Where are They Now?" series, and that gives us a hefty feature piece every week (and opens up plenty of holes for taking vacations)

11. daytonadan1983

I'd kill to be able to write something as good as this every day, but frak, I've been told I don't tweet enough....

I think the concern I had was it takes a lot of energy and time to produce one of these ... and after the discussion with the powers that be, we came up that good scheduling and planning would allow us to present stories like these on a regular basis across all our outlets ...I'll let imjustagirl get back to being awesome now...

12. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

No one allows IJAG to awesome. She awesomes all on her own, due to her awesomeness.

Great write. Rack 'im.

Draft saved Draft deleted