1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Not to Write a Column -- Sid! Style

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Oct 21, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not any readers I know of and most of my immediate family lives in MSP

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

King Sid must have some serious blackmail material on higher-ups at the Strib.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Ah crap! I thought from the title of the thread that Sid Crosby is now writing his own column about how to spend millions of NHL dollars.

Got fooled again....

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I actually think that's a pretty interesting tidbit. There's something like 20 or more players from Minnesota on NDSU's roster and many from North Dakota. There were several stories about how many of the players were motivated against the Gophers by the fact that they obviously didn't want them. And it also speaks to whether Mason's crew missed on some guys who could have really helped them (like the Fargo kid who ran them over for 200-plus yards).

As they say, Sid is what he is. He wrote his first column for the paper in frickin 1945. Plus, at this point, Lakers fans probably wish he was still the owner of the team and not Jerry Buss.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hey, I grew up hating Sid.

But, as Rosie said, either he's got disturbing pictures of someone or the majority of the people like him, because they haven't canned his ass.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

You're kidding, right? There are no photos or negatives that could be more scandalous to the Strib's higher-ups than what they already have done, in full public view, to that newspaper. There is zero interest in integrity or funding quality under the new private-equity ownership. If Sid brings in enough customers to justify his salary -- customers, not readers, in the new parlance of that newsroom -- than they're happy to have him around. Journalistic standards be damned.

7. I think this discussion about Sid is exactly why the Strib keeps him around. You might despise him or love him, but you still read him and talk about him.

Remember, bad publicity is better than none.

Besides, how many people in the Upper Midwest can be referred to by his first name and everybody knows who you're talking about?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Probably true.

He still sucks.

9. Agreed.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Huh?

11. I don't think Sid owned the Lakers, but he was GM at one time. While still on the newspaper payroll, IIRC.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Never knew that, Lyman. Thanks for sharing.

Draft saved Draft deleted