1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Not to Write a Column -- Sid! Style

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Oct 21, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Again, tell me what Minnesota had done in the 30 years before he got there?

No one ever said he was a stellar coach. He did what was needed to be done to get them to be respectable, though.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Wait. The Star-Tribune prints posts from fan messageboards and calls them columns?
    Cool. Where do I apply?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Quit picking on Joe Salem...

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wacky Wacker was the guy who took the Gophs into the nether regions of the Big Ten on a consistent basis. Before him, Gutenkunst, Holtz and Cal Stoll had them hanging around .500, going 6-5, 7-5 every third or fourth year -- essentially what Mason had been doing (except against MUCH, much harder schedules -- Minnesota used to play teams like USC and Nebraska in the nonconference season).

There's no reason, especially with the new stadium opening, Minnesota shouldn't be as viable a football program as Illinois, Michigan State, Indiana, Northwestern and the rest of the Big Ten's red-headed stepchildren. It doesn't take much to beat out that lot.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Please, Mason had taken them to a number of bowl games, which none of the other coaches did.

And Holtz teams are about as dirty as a Bronx hooker at 3 a.m.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There appreciably more bowl games than there used to be, making it easier for 7-5 mediocrities to garner bids.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Of course, Ben, but there also are a bunch more I-A football teams than there used to be to compete for those bowl bids.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Sid still does tote around that "VCR" recorder of his. (Thank you, Dee Brown, for that shot.)

The old jerk is the anti-Dorian Gray. In his closet at home, he has a portrait that has gotten mellower and nicer with age, with something resembling a sense of humor and some perspective, the way old guys are supposed to. Sid's just going to "nasty" away.

9. I cannot believe Sid is 87 and still cranking it out. Were I lucky enough to make it that far, I would have been sitting under a palm tree for the past 25 years.

When he finally goes, either on his feet or off of it, will anybody be upset?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

To the readers -- a not a few coaches around the nation -- he's an institution.

To anyone in the business, he's an embarrassment -- at least on some level.

Let's be remembering that the next time someone gets up on their high horse about "giving the readers what they want."

Sid Hartman is what the readers want.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What the fuck does this tidbit have to do with the fucking game?

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

That's not entirely true, Zeke.

I know plenty of people who read the Strib who can't stand King Sid.

I've known more than a few athletes over the years who think he's a flippin' joke as well (and that's from 20 years ago.)

He need to go away.

Far, far away.

Draft saved Draft deleted