1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Not to Write a Column -- Sid! Style

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Oct 21, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Nonouting alert -- Sid Hartman is not The Sports Predictor.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

If you're speaking about teams, NDSU may be better.

But if you line up players and go athlete for athlete, Minnesota would easily win out.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Who cares about athletes? Isn't the point of any sport to have a better team?

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, then, if we suddenly want to have a shuttle-run or 40-yard dash competition, the Gophers will surely be excited.

Until then, they got their asses kicked by a much better football team.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Individual sport athletes--golf, tennis, track, swimming--would take umbrage with your statement.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Golf, tennis, track and swimming are team sports at the collegiate level, right, hb?

Anyway, that's sort of a silly diversion.

7. I'm less shocked by NDSU winning than I am by 30,000 or so of its fans driving down from Fargo and environs to witness the game in person. And that 30,000 tickets were available in the first place. I'm guessing Minnesota doesn't have much of a season-ticket base?

That all said, back to the original point: Sid is a world-class jerk. I think he doesn't retire because he's afraid he'll end up like Bear Bryant -- dead within weeks. So if writing his column keeps him alive, I suppose it's a worthy endeavor.

But only because of that.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They could smell the blood, Ly.

As long as it's a Gopher team they can beat, they will come.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And even that is borderline... ;)

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A labiaotomy??

:eek: :eek: :eek:

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Same thing happens when Iowa and, to a lesser extent, Wisconsin play at the Dome. Back in the 90s when the NCAA still had a delay of game penalty for crowd noise in the rule book Iowa almost got flagged for it AT THE METRODOME.

Yes, that's right, the home team got shouted down in its own stadium. Iowa fans also tore down the goalposts at the Dome when they clinched the Big 10 in 2002.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Gopher football has been pretty much irrelevant for the past 40 years.

But of course, Sid is still living back in the 60s.

Draft saved Draft deleted