1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How not to report developing news on Twitter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So as near as I can tell, Meriwether either gunned down two men in cold blood, was not in Florida at the time, or something in between. Yeah, Twitter's a great way of covering crime news.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

You mean Brandon of the Patriots. Or Maeweather. From Apoka.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, did anything happen? Do I have to call Morgan & Morgan to get the details?

4. newinthefield

newinthefield Member

Dude actually replied to someone that "tweeting is the gayest thing I do" and that he only cares about how his show sounds, yet he was bragging about breaking the story on Twitter? Hmm...

5. YankeeFan

Gayest? Is he 14, and is this 1985?

6. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

Twitter is a fantastic way to break news. That was not the way to do it.

7. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Sileo is widely regarded as an idiot ... not only in his home market, but nationally as well. And not just by journalists, but by average listeners. Why he's still employed is very much a mystery, especially since the ratings don't set the world on fire, but, yes, he can rightly say he's the top-rated morning drive sports host in the market -- mainly because the other two local sports stations have weak signals.

The afternoon drive guy that YankeeFan mentioned is Steve Duemig ... hubris personified, bombast incarnate and DUI veteran. But he draws the listeners. Guess that's all that matters.

8. YankeeFan

Right, Duemig. He honestly makes Francesa look shy, bashful, and humble.

Total ass.

And, these guys seem to revel in their "friendships" with (i.e. perks they receive from) their advertisers.

9. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, what do you all think about a newspaper using twitter as a source for lead sports art?

10. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Give us some context.

Is the story about athletes disseminating their own news via Twitter? Is it a photo (like, out of Japan) that absolutely cannot be found anywhere else? Do I trust the source making it available? I'm open to the options. The quality won't be good enough for lede photo status, most likely, but I'm not going to dogmatically reject the idea simply because of the delivery medium. Chances are good, though, that I *wouldn't* use it. Especially if it's a photo that just hanging around out there "in the wild."

11. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Well, Sileo was let go/fired/resigned this week, for completely different reasons.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/media/content/dan-sileo-leaves-wdae-am-after-calling-black-free-agent-football-players-monkeys-air

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

bet it was one of them dam foriner cars

Draft saved Draft deleted