1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How not to report developing news on Twitter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Mar 9, 2011.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

He might end up being right to some extent, but if you want to see the wrong way to report developing news on Twitter, check out http://twitter.com/dshurricane93 for last two hours. Tampa radio morning host Dan Sileo tweeting from car about potential shooting incident with Patriots' Brandon Meriweather ...

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

He has Floyd Mayweather involved at one point. I know, undoubtedly, I would lose my job if I'd done this.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wow, Brandon Meriwether might have been involved in a shooting? This is completely unreal considering that when he was in college he whipped a gun out of his waistband and shot up a moving car after his teammate/roommate had been shot by said moving car. He seems like such a nice guy.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This reporter is a fuckin' joke. His station should fire him on the basis that his tweets make him look like an assclown.

5. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Wasn't there a guy in Colorado who did something stupid with Twitter, and then his editor just kept defending it and digging an even bigger hole?

6. jps5226

jps5226 New Member

He's not a reporter. He's a former player. One who claims to be a reporter who doesn't care about beating the national press on stories involving his alma mater, then tweets multiple times later how great he is for beating the national press. But uh, yeah, definitely not the way to go about posting breaking "news"

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

His roommate got shot by a car?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It backfired.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You know, I knew there was something wrong with that sentence construction, but somnambulance overcame me.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What law firm did the victim hire?

Holy shit dude, why don't you say Morgan & Morgan a few more times. I'm more embarrassed for him that he calls the lawyer his advertiser and best friend.

11. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Sileo is perhaps the most embarrassing individual in sports radio, and that includes "Vic the Brick". He's a disgrace to my profession, a proven liar many times over, and a complete incompetent.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Who's the guy that WDAE has (or at least had) on in the afternoons?

He makes Francesa look humble.

Draft saved Draft deleted