1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How NOT to pitch your work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, May 8, 2013.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Not an apology with the shot at Romanesko.

And, seriously, you're telling us you have done 50 things stupider than wrecking your career?

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I kinda wish I was still a sports editor, just so I would have gotten that email. I checked our "main" sports email address, but it wasn't sent there. I feel so left out! :)

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I am severely insulted that I didn't get in on this.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I gave up posting for Jewish Lent but I'll risk the punishment to weigh in on this one.

The editors complaining about the reply/reply all thing need to drink a tall glass.

First, Gene Warnick out in LA deserves major credit and applause. I'd been ignoring this clod's emails for a while and hadn't read the email in question. Gene did and fired back a nice takedown. I then read it and was shocked at his insensitivity and cluelessness. I lost half my staff in January. We all worry about when more are coming. Every day we go in wondering, "Is this it?" My stomach hurts all the time. ALL the time. I'm far from alone. Our situation is sadly not unique. See the Hoops Weiss thread.

So I hit "reply all" and essentially said "what he said," as did MANY others. I know the majority of people on that chain and I assure you they are smart enough to know the difference between reply and reply all. I'm a dumbass and I know the difference.

A couple of people complained and someone, can't remember who, said, "It's a show of unity."

Exactly. Took about one minute to clear them out of the inbox but I smiled with each click.

The cartoons aren't very good. I'd post one here if I could. His approach is even worse. I bow down to Gene's greatness for calling him out and I applaud my colleagues for replying to all and joining the chorus.

OK, now I have to go figure out what our version of Hail Mary (did I say that right?) is and repent.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're a good guy, Moddy. Even if you're a not-so-great Jew.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Moddy's reply was after Gene's in my mailbox. I know the SE's of every Lee paper in Calif. chimed in, which was another joke on Schiller, since he still had the North County Times on his spam list, plus a few other SE's at bigger papers that have moved on.

Like most of those here, I usually ignore the self-syndicators, or, if he situation dictates, send a short, polite rejection note. And like everyone else, we're stretched thin, and will probably become more like Manute Bol than Pablo Sandoval as time goes by. Yes, cartoons would be nice ... and fantasy columns ... and gaming columns ... but we just don't have cash, or space. And if I did have the cash, I'm on the lookout for a stringer rather than duplicating stuff I already get via our news services.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So much for Schiller removing people from the mailing list, I got two of his freebie cartoons yesterday.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Same here. I sent him a note back reminding him I'd asked off ... not that it will do much good.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Would love to read the Warnick email.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

JAY:

After your first sentence, I have no interest in looking at your cartoons. Might be one of the most insensitive things I've ever read. Everyone in this industry has good friends who have lost their jobs. You're right, it's no joke.

Please take me off your e-mail list.

Draft saved Draft deleted