1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How NOT to pitch your work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, May 8, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The list of newspaper folks who are hitting "reply all" and telling these guys to quit pitching cartoons is pretty impressive in both number and quality.
  2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"Who," not "that."[/Moderator1]
  3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So that's where Doodah ended up!
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This one hit my e-mail box before I left the office for a softball game. When I got back, the other writer said, "(HanSen), you've got a lot of e-mails ... the bell's been going off all day." Editors from the big-city papers to, well, us at the Podunk Fishwraps of the world, sending unsub messages and some choice (and well-deserved) words.
  5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A friend of mine wrote on FB something about "The number of sports editors who don't know how to not hit reply all is staggering." And I had no idea what he was talking about.
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Same here. Now, I know.
  7. Inky_Wretch

It's been intentional.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. cmlifer

cmlifer New Member

I felt bad for the other guy here at our shop. He had to root through all the reply-alls to find some stuff for our prep roundups.

Reading all of them was entertaining and interesting how each responded, both polite and not-so-polite.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

When "It's Just A Joke" goes bad.
  10. Inky_Wretch

And now an apology, I think.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Condescending ass to the last drop.

I don't blame self-syndicators for trying, but at least be polite about it when I say no.
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

1. It's not mercifully short.
    2. Why is he pitching to newspapers when he seems to have an ingrained hatred for them?
    3. He is among the worst salesmen of all time.
Draft saved Draft deleted