1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How not to get re-elected in Boston

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jay_christley, Sep 22, 2006.

1. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

A city councilor wants a landmark Citgo sign taken down in response to a speech in which Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez called President Bush "the devil."

Citgo is a subsidiary of Venezuela's state oil company, and Councilor Jerry McDermott wants to replace the sign, which is visible from Fenway Park, with a U.S. flag.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2599253

McDermott told The Boston Herald. "I think people would soon forget the Citgo sign."

Clearly McDermott underestimates Red Sox Nation.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Doesn't he have better things to do for his paycheck than propose stupid legislation such as this?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A Boston city councilor? Actually, no, he doesn't have anything better to do.

4. KP

KP Active Member

He's slightly softened his stance over the past 24-48 hours. Now he'd be ok with just a black cloth draped over it until there's a formal apology.

And while it's a technicality, I wish people would stop saying Hugo Chavez made his speech in NY. The UN is encircled by NY, but is not part of NYC.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought for sure this would be a Theo Epstein thread.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I thought he was announcing his switch to the GOP.

7. He didn't insult the country.
    He insulted the guy running it.
    And Councillor Stupid is a blight.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What a country. We are as dependent on oil as a day-old puppy for breast milk. And the countries that supply it hate our fucking guts. Talk about a national security issue.

It took Brazil 10 years to wean itself from dependence on oil. 10 years.

Where's our national plan? Instead, our president wastes his days solving the border issue by proposing to legalize every illegal immigrant. And worrying about whether Fred marries Bob. Or the stem cells of a dead baby. And not even a whiff of an actual plan to tackle our dependence on foreign oil.

And when the next democrat gets into the oval office, it will be same shit, different day.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

No love for Citgo here.

I had a $10 payment on my Citgo gas card get lost in the mail and the cocksuckers turned me in to the credit bureau.

I couldn't cancel that fucking card fast enough.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Could Not Agree More

Whether it's the smug smarmy self rightous Republicans or the self rightous smarmy smug Democrats, the same shit will still stink

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Councilor McDermott, shut your mouth - every time you open your trap, you're making me a bigger Chavez fan.
    Venezuela sold oil to the Northeast earlier this year during a Middle East supply tightening - given that my part of the nation's on the White House shitlist, another reason why Chavez is sand in the skivvies of Dubya and Talk Radio Nation.
    P.S. What'll this guy do next? Demand the Red Sox not re-sign Alex Gonalzez because he's Venezuelan?

12. terrier --
    You had to bring that up, right?
    Now the Sox need a shortstop again, and from a non-aligned nation.
    Yeesh.

Draft saved Draft deleted