1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much would you pay for Rivals.com?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

might be a problem with this acquisition.

be sure to read the update, where Terry is threatening to sue the blog.

<a href="http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/04/12/ceo-of-rivals-committed-securities-fraud-may-kill-yahoo-acquisition/">CEO Of Rivals Involved In Securities Fraud; May Kill Yahoo Acquisition</a>

2. somewriter

somewriter Member

This is a done deal:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/21/technology/21yahoo.html

$98 mil, according to Sports Biz Journal.

3. I worked for a rivals site once. Different experience. I'll just leave it at that. PM for details

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I see your $0 and raise you $0.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Did some business with them before that meltdown, when they hosted a site for Shout! magazine. Bad memories.

6. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I don't see this acquisition doing much for Yahoo from the perspective of acquiring new audience. It does give them more inventory for delivery of targeted search, but they could have made a deal for that for a few million dollars a year rather than fronting $100 million.

Rivals screwed up several established, legit sports sites (like Dyestat.com) when they assumed room temperature back in 2000. I was about two weeks away from migrating my existing site to their platform and was going to invest about $12,000 to start up my network of stringers over the first 90 days after launch. I'm grateful they went belly-up when they did or else I would have lost about half of the $12 grand.

7. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Yahoo has already been distributing articles from sites within the Rivals network on the respective team pages on Yahoo for likely going on a full year now. I'm curious to see how this changes things -- if at all -- for either side.

And yes, if Yahoo starts putting all content from Rivals on its site, that will mean lots of people will be reading lots and lots of bad, bad articles.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Minor threadjack: All hail dyestat.com. They do it right. It's not journalism, but it's one of the best non-journalism sports sites out there.

9. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Fuck that. I'm glad they banned his ass here. What a pain he was.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I believe you are referring to the troll known as DyePack.

Dyestat.com is a track and field website. The two are not related.

Draft saved Draft deleted