1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much would you pay for Rivals.com?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

How about $100 million?

http://www.paidcontent.org/entry/419-yahoo-close-to-acquiring-rivalscom-price-could-reach-nine-figures

(Saw this linked from Dan Shanoff's blog)

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Very interesting story.

3. Should it happen, let's hope they funnel some money into writing lessons for the "reporters" on some of their team sites. I've seen 12-year-olds put stories together and use quotes better than some of the hacks on the one I see regularly. Oh, yeah, and maybe invest a little in objectivity training.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Steve: Those are fan sites. They make no pretense of overall objectivity, and that's not what a typical user would want, either.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Amazing considering Rivals went bankrupt in 2000. Maybe one of us can recount their bounceback from that.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

agreed. yahoo would be paying for rivals as is, so to speak. it attracts users although it's obviously hated here because we're journos.

but i think stevethepirate's concern is legit in one sense - let's hope fred fanboy's columns are clearly differentiated on the site from jeff passan, for example.

8. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Back then they didn't charge for subscriptions. Like a lot of the dot coms, they thought they would survive on 100 percent advertising revenue.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would go with all the change in my pocket. And I carry a lot of quarters some days.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

It sure is too bad that blogs suck, and that online stuff is nothing but a gimmick, eh? :)

11. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I wish I could come up with something these freaking yay-hoos would pay $7 a month for because it's like crack and they'll never give it up.

12. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

There is a Grand Canyon-sized difference between blogs that snark about the "MSM" and Rivals.com, a legitimate (if not always journalistically perfect, but who is?) news-gathering site.

Draft saved Draft deleted