1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Much Would You Pay For Mandated Health Insurance ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 17, 2010.

?

How Much Would You Pay For Mandated Health Insurance Monthly?

1. $300

33.3%
  2. $500

13.3%
  3. $800

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. $1200

6.7%
  5. Other

46.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

We're over-governing ourselves.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yep. That's how it should be. I'm not looking for a government handout.

3. highlander

highlander Member

Comparing car insurance to health insurance is like comparing apples to oranges.
    Car insurance is meant to protect others and the owner, health insurance only protects the person or family buying it.

Never in the history of the US has anyone been forced the purchase anything they didn't want. Especially at the threat of fines or jail time.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A year in Afghanistan.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Native Americans didn't have to purchase reservation land. But they were forced to go there anyways, under threats of a lot worse.

Men who didn't want to be drafted into the Civil War for the North were forced to purchase their deferments for $300.

Miners were forced to be paid in company scrip, and could only use it in the company store.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

None of which is relevant to the discussion.

7. Baron Scicluna

Sure it is. He said that never in U.S. history was anyone forced to purchase anything they did not want, under threats of jail or a fine. I just gave three examples.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

From Lewis Napper's "Bill of No Rights"......

ARTICLE V: You do not have the right to free healthcare, regardless of what Hillary thinks. That would be nice, but from the looks of public housing, we're just not interested in public heath care.

9. highlander

highlander Member

Okay never has anyone been forced by the government to buy anything they didn't want.

Sou you think if someone doesn't want health insurance they should have to buy it? That's pretty much as un-American as you can get. And it is probably unconstitutional.

10. Baron Scicluna

See, that part of the plan, I've been stewing over. I'm concerned that there will be people who will fall in the cracks and end up being forced to pay for health care when they really can't afford it.

But at the same time, I don't want to be hearing about people refusing to buy coverage, then getting into a severe car accident and sticking the hospital with tens of thousands of dollars in bills.

People don't want to pay taxes either, but the government says they have to. To me, forcing them to buy health insurance is the equivilant of another tax. It's not pleasant, but with the current system the way it is, people are already paying a ton of money with health care, only it's going to the insurance companies instead of the government.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Who said car insurance - and most of the other things that are mandated by government under the idea of the greater good -- is constitutional?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The thing that never ceases to amaze me about this entire discussion is that there is a large segment of the population, including a lot of people around here, who are dumb enough to think that the federal government is going to be any more generous with health care than insurance companies are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.