1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much work has Lesley Visser had on her face?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Irregardless, the thread title is spelled correctly.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm sure he went forwards and backwards on it before than deciding to change it.

(Hi Moddy!)

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As long as we're working towards make things right, than I am all write with that.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I own that shirt and wear it proudly.

5. Fixed

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Fixed again.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Actually, I didn't realize one could change a thread title, and I kind of forgot about it, but that's neither hear nor their.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Doesn't really matter what your "intention" was, even if it was just curiosity. It came off like something a 24-year-old frat guy would comment on while sipping his Bud Lite at a frat party. And I don't think you're that guy, but that's how it came across. When you combine it with the "I don't really think young women are funny enough for my screenplay thread," it looks like you're the kind of guy who doesn't really respect women. Which I don't really think is the case, but as I said, that doesn't matter. That's how it came across. I'm not asking you to apologize. I honestly don't care one way or another. But you seemed to be at a loss for why people were jumping down your throat. I provided what I thought was an explanation. I don't know you from anybody, GBNF, but with your posts, you sometimes come across as someone who is very well intentioned, but a little immature, especially when it comes to women. You might not be that way at all in real life. But "some" of your posts do read that way. You can read this post of mine and say, Oh piss off that's bullshit, or if you do respect me, you can ask yourself if, as a writer, there's some truth to what I'm saying. There are plenty of things I think or discuss with my friends that I wouldn't start threads about on SportsJournalists.com. But what you write about is up to you.

Just food for thought.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

GBNF,

Honestly, I was half-expecting to see Double Down take a surgeon's knife and subtlely cut you down. Fortunately, that wasn't the case. I'd like to think I know you at least a little better than he does. As a result, I don't think you're misogynstic. You do come across that way, though.

I'm definitely not the paragon of maturity. Far from it. But there's definitely an element of truth to what Double Down has said about your perceived immaturity in your dealings with women. While I would not advocate an outright ban on your posting threads about women, I would suggest you take a few extra moments to think before hitting New Topic or Post.

Those moments could make the difference between unfair attacks against you or righteous indignation.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

1) Thanks again for the response, this is a good dialogue.
    2) I kinda am a 24-year-old frat guy (I was a 20-year-old frat guy before I dropped) and while I wasn't sipping on a Bud Light at a frat party, I very well could've been.
    3) Maybe I'm blind to it, and that very well could be the truth, but I don't see how my thoughts on "funny women" correlates with me not respecting women. I honestly don't see that. We can end that discussion, because I don't know if I'll ever convince you or you'll ever convince me, and that's fine.
    4) Here's the one thing I don't get: "There are plenty of things I think or discuss with my friends that I wouldn't start threads about on SportsJournalists.com. But what you write about is up to you."
    Why wouldn't you start a thread about something like that? I don't know Mike311gd from Adam, but I feel like I know his personality and we have a lot in common, and I'm very interested in his opinions on things. If we worked for the same college newspaper, I have no doubt we'd be friends. I don't actually consider anyone on SportsJournalists.com a "friend" per se, but I certainly feel a bond with some more than others, and I enjoy the conversation. Now, I'm a big believer in "Don't click on a thread if you don't care," but some people on this board don't share that opinion. Where is there a common ground?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Re Visser, and the treatment of other favorite board subjects:

Visser's done superior work for years, has always been nice to me in public, and I won't say a bad word about her.

Loopy and the Dwarf catch shit on this board in large part because of their absurd, sustained public posturing, that in large part presumes that the bulk of their audience is comprised of idiots. The lowest-common-denominator pandering and endless book huckstering (especially from the Midget) is especially tiring.
    It's beyond dispute.

Draft saved Draft deleted