1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much should I tip my pizza delivery guy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Jan 16, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I gotta get the what to eat when eating out book or whatever it's called.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

93D, because I love you:

Chicken Bacon Ranch: 890 calories, 400 fat calories, 45g fat, 16g saturated fat, 2210 mg sodium.
    Chicken Parmesan: 770 calories, 270 fat, 30g fat, 16g satfat, 2130 mg sodium.
    Italian: 880 calories, 410 fat, 45g fat, 22g satfat, 2560mg sodium.
    Philly Cheese Steak: 690 calories, 250 fat, 27g fat, 14g satfat, 2080mg sodium.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

$4 for a delivery charge? That astounds me. I delivered for Papa John's in a large metro area earlier this decade, and the delivery charge was 75 cents. Granted, none of that went to the driver so big tips are still very appreciated.

I think $26 on a $22-and-change order is fine for a tip.

4. 93Devil

Jesus.

That's a lot of heart attack.

5. 93Devil

My wife showed me this one a while back.

Arby's
    Market Fresh Roast Turkey & Swiss
    (Sandwiches) 1 ea
    (11.5 oz)
    (327 gm)
    calories 630
    fat 30 gms
    carbs 52 gms

It's a damn turkey sandwich!!!

6. imjustagirl

Told you. Never assume. Hell, Subway meats are SO high in sodium. Still better than a double-cheeseburger, but just because something's a sandwich doesn't make it good for you.

EDIT: The Market Fresh ones are TERRIBLE for you. The bread is apparently just loaded up with badness. Plus, it's all the cheese and mayo. A Super roast beef isn't bad for you, because it's lettuce, tomato and roast beef. I read in a "get this, not that" book that you should not get honey wheat bread, because it's much worse for you than the rolls that stuff usually comes on.

7. 93Devil

I guess he is still eating pizza, so the thread jack can continue.

The silver lining of snapping this ankle is I might be able to change my eating habits. And the habit in need of changing is portion control.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I was a lousy tipper until I delivered pizza many years ago. Now I'm a great tipper. It pays off too, because every now and then the guy or girl will bring me an extra soda, a ton of cheese or seasoning packets (I have a bucket full, so see me if you need any), a dessert I didn't pay for or a double order of boneless wings if I order a regular one.

The worst deliveries I had back in the day were always business deliveries, even at places where people made a lot of money. Typically, the employees would all pitch in on a big order and pay the exact amount they were given when they called in the order (no tip). Nada.

Oh, once I got 50 cents at a law office.

Best home delivery was to a woman with a half-open robe. She paid me with a check with an address on it that wasn't in the same neighborhood as the house she was in. I guessed she was, uh, visiting.

9. imjustagirl

J_D, for better or worse, I tip WAY better if I order online or pay with a credit card. They'll ask in advance how much you want to tip. You drop a 6-7 buck tip on them then, and they'll make sure your pizza gets delivered first. And hot.

10. Did you give her your tip?

11. 93Devil

I hate bastards that give $7 on a $6.99 order.

Tax and tip. Tax and tip.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yep. I've noticed that too.

My pet peeve: Forgetting my drinks (which used to happen all the time). They would always ask, "Do you want me to take it off your bill?" I would always say, "No, I want my drinks." They'd have to run to a store and get them, and I think they figured out they needed to look at the order more carefully before rushing out of the store.

Draft saved Draft deleted