1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much should I tip my pizza delivery guy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Jan 16, 2009.

1. I ordered three things for $18, but because it's delivery they added another $4 for a total of $22.

I only have one $1 bill on me and the rest are fives, so I have to either give him $26 or $30. It sounds cheap, but $30 seems like a lot for an $18 order.

Is $26 too little for a $22.48 pizza?

I usually pick up, but I'm home alone with the kids and it's cold as balls outside.

I guess I could ask for change, but then I really feel cheap.

Hurry up with those answers, s/he's supposed to be here in 20 minutes.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Suck it up and give him a fiver. He sees none of that $4 I'm sure.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I always do take out.

I think I have had pizza delivered to my house less than five times in my life.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

When I delivered for Caesar's SEVERAL years ago, we got $1 of the delivery fee, plus tips.

I usually do 3-4 bucks, plus the change. So for $22.48, I'd pay 26 or 27. More if it's there super fast. Less if it's 30 minutes longer than they said it would be.

5. imjustagirl

Thanks for your assistance on this thread.

6. 93Devil

So they added $4 just because it was being delivered?

If you give 20% on $18, that means you are out $3.60 + $4.00 for $7.60?

Shit.

7. 93Devil

But $7.60 is close to 50% of the original order.

8. Thanks, I'll do the 5 if he's here quickly and gets the order right. Less if it's messed up.

9. The principle of the thing bugs the shit out of me. I know there's additional costs for delivery, but like Moddy said, the fee doesn't go to the driver who uses his own car.

10. 93Devil

Other than a bottle of beer, a $1 tip is almost unheard of.

I even give $2 on a $5 lunch.

11. imjustagirl

Oh, I'm vehemently anti-delivery charge. But here's the only reason I can think of it:

Friday nights, we'd have to have 4-5 delivery people working. They'd basically come back just long enough to load up their cars and be gone again. So of the 9 people working on a given night, half them were never in the office. That delivery fee allows a little extra income to allow for more scheduling inside.

Don't know if that's logical, and I was never in charge of staffing. It's just all I could come up with. But $4 is obscene...I've done like $2.50 before.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Tip him with bong hits, now that I think about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted