1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much should BP fork over, and to who

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Jul 25, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What about it? It's there, but it is kind of irrelevant to the discussion we were having about fear, tourism, and the media's role in one harming the other.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

yup, like clockwork. "What about it?"

3. RickStain

It's called moving the goalposts, Starman. *With regards to the conversation we are having*, I'm not sure how the danger to wildlife is relevant.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Actually the thread's about how much BP should pay in damages and to whom. Is tourism the only business on the Gulf?

5. RickStain

Fair enough.

The impact on wildlife is yet to be determined, but it looks much more severe than the impact on humans, and BP should be made to pay whatever it takes to try to rectify it.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

Thanks.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, the stories about the oil "potentially" getting into the gulf current, whipping around Florida and up the east coast weren't sensationalism at all.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Those are the two questions Ken Feinberg will be answering for the next 5-10 years.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Still too early to tell on that.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Stain,

I also don't think you're using "prove a negative" correctly.

11. RickStain

I'm cheating a little. The assertion was "Prove it or shut up," which I am taking as "Prove it or it is false."

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is the answer.

Too much of the coverage wasn't based on facts, it was based on conjecture. They focused on the worst case scenario and the put people on the air would were willing to speculate about what could go wrong. And the more willing you were to predict something dire, the more likely you were to get on the air.

If you followed cable TV coverage, not only would you have cancelled your Florida panhandle vacation, you would have canceled your vacation to the Central Florida Gulf Coast, to the Florida Keys, or if you were in the U.K., you might have cancelled you weekend plans in Cornwall.

Remember how excited the media was when a tar ball turned up in the Keys? They were just thrilled. Until it turned out no to be from the oil spill.

Draft saved Draft deleted