1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much should BP fork over, and to who

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Jul 25, 2010.

1. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

"Come to our beaches! There's almost no chance you'll die from exposure to oil!"
    I don't think even the most alarmist among us were suggesting death as a possibility - merely that the vacation may not be as pleasant because there might be a whole bunch of oil/fumes in a given area.

The point that's being made by the toxin analogy is that just because the denominator of your dilution equation is really really big, it doesn't mean that you can dismiss the risks of the numerator. Using the volume of the entire Gulf is misleading as well since:
    A) the oil wasn't even distributed over the entire body of water
    B) the oil is concentrated in the upper levels of the Gulf.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Glad to see the poor defenseless multibillion-dollar oil companies have their to-the-death defenders, as always.

These fuckin' rightwingers-- it's reflexive by now.

Environmentalists (or anybody raising ANY concerns about pollution, toxins, etc etc, which includes the media)? Always wrong wrong wrong.

Billion-dollar oil companies? Always right right right.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm not a right-winger. But I know life is easier for simple people when they try to reduce everything to the simplest concepts they can understand.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That being the case, you may want to revisit your original math, with the thought in mind that there are 42 gallons of oil per barrel.

5. RickStain

Sorry, the math was correct, the label was wrong. It's 180 million gallons, or 4.28 million barrels.

The point remains perfectly intact: If there's oil on the beach, don't go. If there's not, there's absolutely no reason to be worried.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So environmental damage from an oil spill consists entirely of what can be seen while standing on the beach?

7. RickStain

The danger to humans is limited to areas where there is actually oil.

Any more toxins you want to throw out there without thinking about them or doing any research first?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And where was the oil?

9. RickStain

In a northern portion of the Gulf, including coastline from the middle of Louisiana to the western edge of the Florida panhandle.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/05/01/us/20100501-oil-spill-tracker.html

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I don't understand how people can complain the story was overblown.

A major spill combined with an explosion that caused loss of life occurs.

Reports are that oil is spewing into the Gulf. It seems fairly basic to me. What is the media supposed to do, not report the story, especially when it comes out that BP was restricting access to beaches?

If you are Joe Six-Pack and you take one summer holiday a year are you going to want to go where there is a chance that there may be oil on the beach or are you going to go somewhere else?

I don't see how this is the media's fault.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What about the danger to wildlife?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who fuckin' cares about any of that, we must protect the poor defenseless multibillion-dollar owned-by-foreigners oil companies at any cost.

Draft saved Draft deleted