1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much should BP fork over, and to who

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Jul 25, 2010.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes. It's how much we spent every bleeping 10 days in Iraq.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, you should ask Obama why he's still doing that.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Rick, honest question. If you had the cash, would you have vactioned with your family in that region this year? Or would you have gone somewhere else this summer and gone to the coast next year?

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If I had pre-existing plans in the Gulf, it wouldn't bother me a bit to go there. But I'm a relentlessly logical person. There are 643,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of water in the Gulf of Mexico. The upper-end of the estimates of how much oil was spilled was 180,000,000 barrels.

That means that even if not one drop was cleaned up or broken down by natural processes, the total concentration of oil in the Gulf was 1 part per 3,572,222,222. Less than one part per 3.5 billion. And much of it was cleaned up.

Unless there was oil on that specific beach, it wouldn't bother me a bit to vacation there.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Still waiting for the "It's the media's fault" crowd to get specific. Cite the excessive reporting, specifically. Prove the absence of counterpoint and balance, specifically. Show it, specifically.

Otherwise, you're doing what you'd never accept from the media you're blaming: being anecdotal rather than doing research, going on memory (which is worthless unless you saw every minute of every TV piece and read every printed word) and in general being lazy. Cite hard evidence. Can't? Then shut up. Your theory has been noted on multiple threads.

6. RickStain

You can't prove a negative. Unless you want me to comb through the transcripts of every major media broadcast on the event to show that they never once put the event in the proper context, you'll have to live with me not shutting up.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Rick, keep proving nothing, then.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Winston Smith says 'Spilled Oil Means Cleaner Beaches.'

10. RickStain

I will. Keep on with your fallacy of negative proof.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Because the average male US adult weighs 86 million milligrams, just 200 milligrams of cyanide couldn't possibly hurt him!

12. RickStain

Cute try. But your comparison fails by four orders of magnitude.

1 part per 3,500,000,000

vs.

1 part per 430,000

Dilute that cyanide by 1,000 times and your body would have no problems absorbing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted