1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much should BP fork over, and to who

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I am in the middle of a 6-day stay at one of the Phoenix condominiums here in Orange Beach/Gulf Shores, Ala. and there is hardly anybody here. I grew up in the 1970s and beyond, coming down from central Mississippi to this area, after my parents bought a summer house in 1971. There are double red flags at every beach access point, indicating no swimming is recommended (swimmers here and there are defying it and honestly, the water looks fine). Oil eating microbes that have been put into the water, along with other chemicals, are enough to keep me my family in the condo pool, though we've waded and picked up shells, plus spotting several stingrays and redfish along the shallows. Flying down, I saw a USA Today headline that read "Travel industry group demands 500 million from BP"
    The restaurants and beaches here having, say, 1/50th of their normal traffic, honestly, makes me wonder who deserves big-time reparations, in any form, from BP for this spill. And how much money is enough.
    Beaches are still white and water looks fine, but nobody's in town in the middle of a summer weekend. My guess is it will pick up in less than a year, and all be back to normal by next summer.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I won't hazard a guess on the amount but the money should go directly to the Gulf businesses and should not pass thru a third party - be it the federal government or a "travel industry group".

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have friends who have been to Destin recently who said that business was down, but the beaches seem unaffected. I've heard that may change in the weeks to come, especially with hurricane season coming.

I actually thought the $20 Billion that Obama mentioned was low. I can't imagine that there is a single person or business near the gulf that hasn't been destroyed as a result of this. Some are obvious (fishermen) but there are so many people who people aren't even thinking about that are impacted directly or indirectly.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They all went to PCB... damn place was the busiest I've seen it this weekend.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

One of the all time great snl celebrity jeopardys had I think it was chritian french wagering Texas + $ sign in final jeopardy. Somehow that figure sounds about right. When you consider the gulf fishing industry that has been destroyed and the tourism industries of several states that has been ravaged plus the clean up that still needs to be done, that $20 billion bill has got to be a low estimate.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Prediction: BP will pay maybe one-fourth of that supposed $20 billion and nothing more. The U.S. Courts will slash any awards of substance, and Congress will NEVER make them pay anything.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

If Obama mentioned $20 billion and there wasn't much discussion on it, then $40-50 billion, distributed to businesses, would be a figure to shoot for with hopes of acceptance by those who've been affected.
    Fishermen in Louisiana should come first with the dispersements, then.
    If we can spend the monthly amounts we do on the wars, we can do this.
    But I agree it would have to be divied out by people who would be fair.
    Restaurant owners and other business people, including fishermen, oystermen, etc., could be paid based on figures showing how muchmoney they normally generated before the spill.
    That should be easy enough to trace with tax records.
    Since it's all going to be back to normal by next summer (I think) the $50 billion might be able to be spread around with even a bit left over.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It's about to get ugly in Alabama. Rumor is that sales tax collections are down by 1/3 from last summer, not only fromn the direct impact to the coastal counties, but also tourists who drive through the rest of the state to get there and to the Florida Panhandle.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Oyster season in Mississippi is officially ruined.
    (But, as you see in many of these oil-related stories, officials "aren't sure whether oil spill" had anything to do with it.)

http://www.sunherald.com/2010/09/01/2446838/dmr-gulf-sample-shows-abundance.html

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What is 20% of the company's net worth? How about 50% of all their profits for the next 10 years?

Take their shares off the stock exchange and take half their profits each year.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Really.

Draft saved Draft deleted