1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much play do you give college hoops?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Back in my day and today, the Globe and Herald give college regular season basketball as much coverage as is warranted by the success of local teams, mostly BC and how much space is left over after the pro sports and college hockey get their cuts. So not so much lately, but they never ignore it completely. Just wire roundup national coverage.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

SEC no longer has divisions for basketball.

3. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

We do the glances for three Division I-A conferences that contain state schools, gamers, advances and that's about it. Since we're on a state border, some of the other state's schools make it into our roundups if we have space.
    Since we have pretty good prep basketball, we've got a few players in Division I-A and we add them to our roundups as well.

But we don't make it to many games, since we're four hours and change from Ole Miss and three hours from Mississippi State and 2.5 from Southern Miss.

I can justify that expense during football, but basketball? When the stands are half-empty, not so much. If anything, college baseball is bigger here. State and Ole Miss routinely sell out their ballparks and Southern's attendance is one of C-USA's best.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, college baseball and hockey are interesting items. Some markets they have quite a following and other places almost unnoticed.

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I live in Ohio. It gets as big a play around here as college football or anything else. Around here, it's 1) College football 1B) NFL 1C) College basketball 2) Everything else.

In my expierence, you have to go to Cleveland, Indianapolis, Chicago, or Detriot to find NBA fans. You have to go to Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago to find MLB fans. Those fans not in big numbers outside the major cities, and the regional smaller newspapers have drastically cut or eliminated coverage altogether (and people don't seem to mind).

Nearly every sports fan follows college football or basketball around here. Probably just more to do with the fact that there's more teams.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's an interesting point, how rural areas tend to follow the colleges (even if there's not one in that particular town) more than the pros.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We I have DI school in town and we're right in the middle of the two big state universities, so all three get ample play. No doubt the colleges are the big boys for our circulation area, as we're three hours away from the both of the two big pro cities in our footprint. (Washington and Charlotte.) Football gets more play than hoops, but it's basketball gets great play, especially during the ACC tournament.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know, but since they do for the other sports I still think in terms of East and West.

Draft saved Draft deleted