1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much of your news consumption is sports?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Pretty self-explanatory question, I guess.

I probably haven't watched SportsCenter in multiple years. I usually watch MLB Network if anything for televised news, or the local big city's localized sports station.

I usually pull sports out first thing in the morning to peruse. Hit baseball hard. Scan the others. Switch over to college football as my first stop once one season fades into the other. I do listen to a lot of sports talk radio in the car - almost exclusively local.

I read, usually, all the A1 NYT stories every day along with all the op-ed page and coverage, now, of the GOP candidates. Plus anything else that looks really interesting throughout the paper. I read probably 1-2 of The New Yorker's big pieces each episode. I scan my local paper for stories about my community or other big ones that interest me (and also keep some track of h.s. football and basketball, along with my old h.s. baseball program).

Anyway:

Probably about 50-50. Maybe 60-40 in favor of news, excepting live events.

When I graduated from college: I bet it was 95-5 in favor of sports. Maybe more.

Interesting to see how that changes.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

On the local side, almost all of it. I live the car wrecks and city council meetings alongside the people in our newsroom (and we all proof page 1 before it goes out anyway). I normally only watch the local news because it comes on before SNL.

On the regional/national side, maybe 25/35 percent? When it comes to state, I have a college buddy who is a polisci prof that likes to post links to interesting statewide political stories each morning. I get the NYT headlines e-mail and normally read two or three articles a day on that, plus I check Slate pretty much daily.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Almost all of it. The markets going on the roller coaster again, too often backward, and obvious higher-profile news topics are about all that intervene.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Almost 100 percent. I get almost all my news from email forwards and tri-fold pamphlets handed out on street corners.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I definitely do a poor job keeping up with state news. Probably much to do with working in a different state than I live.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's probably 60-40, in favor of news. Used to be a lot more, maybe 80-20 sports.

But having covered a lot of sports, you get tired of it. Well, that may not be the right word. I guess it's more trying to broaden the spectrum.

Like you, Dick, I'll scope the baseball news first, then scan the other stories. And then it's on to the news, metro and business sections.

I still find it hard to get excited and watch a random sports event, even a bigger event/game. That probably comes from watching sports so much as a reporter instead of as a fan.

I'll watch the teams I actively root for without a problem. It's more the regional/national ones that I find harder to watch, unless its a great game/close finish.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

The traditional "big 4" sports? Virtually none. Just don't care about those leagues any more. I enjoy a couple "minor" sports, and read about them sometimes if they are in the paper. Mostly I read local news to see who killed who and if I know any of the perps/victims. Oh, and the obituaries... God's sports section.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Very little. I'll usually only flip to ESPN to read the crawl and get a score. I might watch SportsCenter once or twice a week. That might go up once college football and the NFL begin.

I don't read the local paper at all. I don't watch the local news for anything other than weather.

Maybe 20-80.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'd say it's about 60/40 in favor of sports, down significantly from what it used to be. I'm doing business and international news in addition to sports now, so I need to expand my horizons a bit. Like Hank, I find it hard to get too into games that don't involve one of the two teams in whom I have an active interest, but even those aren't really appointment viewing anymore.

Will the trend continue when I leave newspapers? It's hard to say. I enjoy reading The Economist and the international coverage from the big sites, but I don't think I can walk away from sports entirely.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Quite the margin there.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, I probably can top that.

A1 news, municipal news ... I really have minimal interest. And I was much happier after I allowed myself not to be guilted into caring about it too much.

Which probably should surprise nobody, given my disdain for political obsessiveness.

I might get above 20-80 if I count the living section. Hard news, though ... uh-uh.

Draft saved Draft deleted