1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much of a hassle is it crossing the Canadian border these days?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Don't you have some dwarves to toss?

2. markvid

markvid Guest

If you do the birth certificate route, make sure it has a raised seal. Copies will not be accepted.

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Get a passport. I went to Vancouver in 2006, flying in and taking the train out to Seattle. In both cases I needed the passport.

At the very least, it makes things a lot easier.

4. jps

jps Active Member

Still works if you get a copy stamped and signed by a notary public. Or should.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Another thing. If you're traveling with your kids, make sure they have ID. A passport would be a good idea.

Little Bird and I went into Canada two years ago at the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit. We got stopped and while I produced my driver's license, I had no ID for him.

After asking a buttload of questions (where were we going, what we were doing there, why were we going there, where's his mother, why isn't she here), they sent us to the immigration building, explaining that they didn't know if I was some frustrated dad who kidnapped my son in a custody war.

Fortunately for me, I had an insurance card with his name on it. Once I produced that in the building, they let us go on our merry way to Toronto.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Folks, get a passport. Now. It's not that difficult and saves a lot of hassles. Jesus, It's not that difficult.

The Photo ID/Birth Certificate will be a thing of the past in, I believe, Jan 09.

And Birdscribe is right.

If you're travelling alone with your kids, you should have a letter from the father/mother of the children that she/he realises that the kids are travelling out of the country and that they have agreed to it.

And the kids should have some sort of ID.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Worse is, my new state requires a birth certificate and a SS card to get a license.

Fuck.

I don't have a birth certificate.

I do have a SS card and my license from another state. That's not enough?

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Angola: Get a "Delayed Certificate of Birth." My mom needed one when it came time for Medicare. She got a baptismal certificate from her church and a photocopy of a report card from grade school, and that was good enough for her state to get her a birth certificate at age 65. Your state's mileage may vary.

9. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I'm looking forward to bringing some cubans back from canada in a few weeks. Any thoughts on the inherent risks?

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Not these days - even if it is just some cigars, is it really worth the risk breaking international lows?

11. jps

jps Active Member

pretty sure it's not illegal to have them in the U.S. but just illegal to actually purchase them in the U.S.

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I think if you cross a lot, the passport is worth it, but at 120 bucks, i know it's good for 10 years, but if you only cross the border a couple of times, is it really worth it?

Draft saved Draft deleted