1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much of a hassle is it crossing the Canadian border these days?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jul 17, 2008.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Drove back from a vacation in Toronto via Niagara Falls while I was in college, and, without a willingness to do laundry or a hamper, I threw all my dirty clothes (mostly boxers and undershirts) loosely in my trunk.

I knew the sight of a single college student crossing the border would raise eyebrows, and I hoped he asked me to open the trunk. I did, gladly. The guy searched through my dirty underwear for about five minutes and I just smiled the entire time.

As with most trunks, mine has the spare under a carpeted board. I found several pairs of boxer shorts wedged in and around the tire.

On second thought, I should have left a Snickers in there overnight.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Passport is easier and customs officers like them because they can be swiped through their machines, but drivers license will suffice. Took me about 5 minutes coming back from a day trip to Sherbrooke last year at the Derby Line, Vt. crossing.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Mr. Rosie crosses the border on a regular basis. He says it's much easier getting into Canada then coming back across into the States.

And he's a Fed.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Outing alert: Rosie is Britney Spears

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Don't try to get into Canada with only a Blockbuster card as your identification. I found that out the hard way.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

What about a Hollywood Video card?

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That would be a negatory. I wish I still had the deportation papers to prove it.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

:mad:

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I find crossing the border to be a monumental pain, in either direction. But it's worse coming into the U.S. from Canada.

10. jps

jps Active Member

Don't think the license cuts it anymore, though, cran

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I drove into Canada from Detroit in a rental car two years ago, and then went back over the border at Niagara Falls.

Not sure if the rules have changed, but I and the two guys I was with got into Canada with only valid drivers licenses. I had my birth certificate on me, but the guy didn't ask for it (I don't have a valid passport).

The Canadian border agent asked us what we did for a living, where we were going (Toronto) and what was the purpose of our visit (to see a Blue Jays game the next night; we'd seen the Tigers that day) and where we'd rented our car. I think he may have looked in the trunk, but I don't recall.

They've discussed making it a rule that you need a passport to get in for the last several years, even set (and then moved back several times) deadlines for the rules to change. Would probably be worth your time to contact the Canadian consulate near where you'll cross the border (or the American consulate on the other side).

That wasn't my experience at all. The American border agent more or less waved us through after looking at our IDs.

Ten billion times worse getting back in from Mexico, which probably goes without saying.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well... if Mr. Rosie is a Fed and her former hubby was a Fed...

Draft saved Draft deleted