1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much of a fight should I put up over this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Jun 26, 2007.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

At my shop, FWIW, we have a 2x1 on the top right corner of 1A, but it's usually not a big deal because even with the ad there we can have the promo space we want. it's also an ad that has cool facts about the city in which we work, so it's not like it's for a strip club or something.
    We also can have up to five 1x1s on the bottom of the page, but they don't get in the way either anymore because myself and the other two copy desk people helped to a redesign that gave us more space after getting rid of a 3/4 column rail on the left hand column of the page.
    So I don't mind the ads that bad, I also don't have to worry about a big 6x1 or 6x2 on the bottom of the front, either.

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I had the same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago, but what's worse here is that it's every second week, so we have it one issue then it's gone. Extreme pain in the ass, and obviously I agree with you that it takes away from the look of the front page and my area to put information.

I worked with a guy once who quit over the same issue, but I don't know if I'd go that far. I'd certainly express my displeasure with the idea and ask that you be better informed in the future.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Further, I don't think I'd mind something shallow striped across the bottom of the front (ok, I would mind a lot), if it meant the banner and the bulk of the page are ad free. I think the banner area at the top of the page should be independent of advertising.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Good advice and worth a try.

I've talked with our ad people about design issues and how a 2x5 or 3x3 can affect a layout, and asked if possible to have 6x2 strips instead for certain inside pages. They listened, have done a pretty good job with it and sometimes can't help a different size.

Front page ads are here to stay. Like dealing with blogs or design editors with crazy ideas (Hello, Bakersfield!), we'll have to learn to work with it.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Yet, oddly, it keeps you fed and pays your bills.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Commerce will trump principle every time.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I think the biggest problem I have with this sort of advertising -- and I don't like it -- is that it implies, rather heavily, that whatever is being advertised has the newspaper's endorsement. There's a reason this space sells for so much more: Advertisers believe, quite rightly, that their ad will be given more credibility if it's in that position. This is particularly true, I think, for the ads at the tops of pages. It's the same reason people buy those stupid advertorials, the full-page monstrosities that pose as news, even though they look nothing like the paper's styles. (But, but, the ad reps say, we put advertisement at the top! How could you miss it?)

In fact, that gave me a thought: Someone could make an awful lot of money luring designers away from papers to design advertorials that really do resemble a particular paper's style. Pardon me while I go bathe in bleach.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Those ads may appear more credible, of course it makes the other stuff on the page (news) more suspect.

9. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I remember back in the day when ads on our section fronts were common, the paper had a 2x4 MAACO ad on the sports front every Monday during football season one year. Each ad spotlighted one employee of the company. Amazingly, that outfit employed the dozen or so ugliest men in the history of the world. We had 'em posted on our wall.

Draft saved Draft deleted