1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"How much money does he need?!"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 6, 2012.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

This mindset still doesn't address the issue of the Colts preparing to throw a bunch of money at a rookie QB and that they probably want to break up all the old players around him so they can build a team around their new investment.

Manning doesn't fit into that plan, even at a discount rate.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I raised that point. Multiple times. It got no traction.

"Why would they want to get rid of him for a rookie?"

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But what if Peyton Manning were black?

(Just seems to be where these things end up going. Get Bleacher Report on it.)

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Irsay's plan to turn Peyton into the villan in the eyes of the good people of Indiana is working.

5. Am I missing something? I thought the whole money question with Manning was the $28M bonus payment due him on March 8. As I understand it, that's non-negotiable. If he's on the roster, they owe him the bonus.

So the ball is clearly in the Colts' court: Decide in the next month whether he's worth the risk, release him, or make a deal to trade him.

My guess is they try to make a deal, but there's no way another team will deal before March 8 and be stuck with the bonus payment. That means the Colts would release him, unless they strike a deal after March 8 and the other team grees tp pick up part of the bonus payment.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Manning, according to ESPN "sources" who formerly played in the NFL and currently have two Super Bowl-winning sons playing quarterback, would be willing to negotiate that bonus down. Puts the heat on Irsay.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Tell her Irsay's "salary" for the year was $25M and that he owns all appreciation of the franchise from 1998-present, probably $500M, if not more.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Jim Irsay has never held a real job or earned a hard day's pay in his life. For all his folly, at least Jerry Jones is a self-made man.

9. Funny thing is, in his younger days Irsay was a pretty good guy. But I swear as he's aged he's gotten as batshit crazy as his old man was before his death.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, but it's hard to believe that he'll equal or surpass Skokie Bob's public-obnoxiousness level.

That bar was set very, very high.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It just occured to me where Manning should play next season - Baltimore. F the "Indy" Colts.

12. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I guess for 28 million, you can have him. Or maybe less. Might be a buyers market.

Draft saved Draft deleted