1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much is your shop cutting travel?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cosmo, Jul 1, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

especially when its halfway around the world and the time change alone will throw the print-products copy out of whack?

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Are you kidding? I don't know that there's any way to equate representing one's nation at the highest level to a high school game.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Was referring to the Olympic agate . . . the raw, unadorned results . . .

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In 2004, my paper gave these instructions.

1. Focus on local athletes.
    2. Beyond that, if it's not track, basketball, gymnastics or swimming, we don't care unless there is a scandal (failed drug test etc...). I think this was later revised to add softball and soccer.

Can't say I disagree.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As I said before, we were told to limit our travel to our home county a month ago. And as I said then, that policy will disappear on Day 1 of football tab.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I got the story to top all stories.
    Know a reporter in Iraq, and really, really wants to come home.
    Told the paper, they said stay in Iraq until August.
    The paper won't spring for the commercial airline airfare and the reason to stay until August is to catch a free military flight back.
    So while ya'll are bitching about travel, say a small prayer that your paper isn't to cheap to fly you out of a warzone.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Son of a bitch.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That is awful but not surprising.

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Just horrible.
    That newspaper better hope nothing happens to him before he catches the "free" flight. (The military still charges.)

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I want to focus quite a bit more this fall on the schools in the counties contiguous to where we're headquartered, but that's more driven by my thoughts about our future coverage focus than about travel.

With two SEC schools to cover, I can't say we have any real intentions to change much on the travel side this fall. Of course, our circumstances are rather different from that of many of the papers where y'all are working.

Draft saved Draft deleted