1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much is new technology helping?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Blogging all the time? Twittering? How much is all that helping your paper and your productivity? Interesting article posted on the NPC's website after a discussion at Mizzou.

http://www.press.org/article.cfm?id=299

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My paper wants to add Twitter and Facebook, etc.

They don't seem to have a plan, but they want us to add it.

I think some sites can be helpful, but it is like my newspaper doesn't have any idea of what they want us to do -- just we should do it and hope it clicks with people.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's how I felt at my old place of employ. There were no plans, no ideas of how to use it properly...just try anything that involved "multimedia" and go with it.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

One of the things our staff has done is try to embrace it and come up with our own ideas.

The sports department started a jokey Friday night football video. It started out with about 12 hits online and now by Week 8, it is getting well over 500 and the local CW station wants to air it.

We keep it campy and fun and we get local coaches and fans to do introductions and we drink too much while filming it at 3 a.m. on Friday night/Saturday mornings, but it is definitely something that seems to interest people.

Much more than another boring ass interview with the local football coach.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The online ad guy at my shop thinks you just set it up and there is no work involved in posting content. Of course the no effort thing just means he doesn't have to do it.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Yeah, but you're still talking 500 hits. We keep chasing these hits, and they're almost always a small fraction of what readership was back in the day.

You know, back when we actually covered stuff and wrote actual stories.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh, I'm not saying 500 hits is something to pop the champagne corks over -- I guess I was going more toward letting people run with an idea, rather than management shoving more and more technology down our throats without any clue on what to do with it.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

CBSSports.com has started experimenting with Twitter...still early and hit or miss, but an idea:

http://twitter.com/cbssportscom

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

If using Twitter means I have to act like Rick Sanchez, I'll pass.

Draft saved Draft deleted