1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much garbage do you produce each week?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Put out 1-2 bags in the trash bucket each week and usually one recycling bin full of newspapers and plastic bottles. I don't drink soda, so that helps a lot.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

About 350 posts or so.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Like Mike, I use plastic Target bags and I fill one of those every two weeks. My municipality has a recycling center you have to drive to, so very few people do it. The cans here have a five-cent refund and yet very few people do that, either. As I said on another thread, getting people to care about the environment -- even in this heavily agriculture-driven area -- is pert'near impossible.

I have taken it upon myself to gently nudge my newsroom toward being more green. We've put out two "Be Green" sections in the eight months I've been here and yet I still see cans, bottles, white paper and newspaper in our wastebaskets, notwithstanding the bins all over the office. I'm still trying to figure out how to be an activist without being overbearing and tuning people out but, suffice to say, this is my big cause and I'd consider my life a success if I convinced 10 more people to produce 10 fewer bags of trash each month.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The area I'm now in does recycle. The last one did not. It does make a significant difference in reducing waste.

Three people here produce probably two large bags of trash each week, recycling the glass and plastic bottles in addition to paper and aluminum cans.

Draft saved Draft deleted