1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much does weather affect midwest/Big Ten recruiting?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SilvioDante, Mar 18, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Which of those teams has ever been elite in both football and basketball at the same time in the first place? Notre Dame's recruiting efforts aren't hampered by the weather but by high recruiting standards. And I'll still take their athletic program over Duke's.

Ohio State has no problems. Michigan has no problems attracting people; its hoops program has been hurt by probation. Wisconsin's been a major player in basketball and football for a few years now.

Has the Big Ten ever been more than OSU and Michigan on a long-term basis anyway?

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Take away the top 10 percent of recruits who attract national attention, and schools recruit against their conference peers for about 90 percent of their players, I'd estimate. Not that much difference weather-wise between the Big Ten schools.

Same with the ACC, except for Boston College, and the Big 12 North plains/cold), and Big 12 South (Texas, Okieland), and the SEC. For the most part, consistent weather.

Biggest difference might be the Pac-10, with remote Wazzu, where snow isn't unusual; the Oregons and UDub, in the November-April rain belt, and the California/Arizona schools, which have some of the best weather in the country nine months of the year.

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

There's also just the fact that so many elite high school players come out of Fla., the South, Texas and southern California (I'm talking football here). The weather doesn't help, but most of those people aren't going to go North in the first place. Why would they?

Draft saved Draft deleted