1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how much does college choice matter?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BostonCeltz, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Bostonceltz,
    I too went to westconn, and I think that I can give you some good advice here, as I've tried to put together a career from a non-traditional journalism school.
    The student newspaper is the Echo. When I was there, it wasn't that good a product. There wasn't any communication between editors and writers, and the experience didn't help me in the least. Maybe it's changed since I've left, but I wouldn't count on it.
    The weakness with Western is that they don't have a "Journalism" major. I majored in CTA with a minor in english.
    However, what I did was get involved with the local paper. First, I interned for the Danbury News-Times, and then they kept me on as a part-timer after I left school.
    You can recieve some credit with an internship. I believe the person I went through at the time, 98-99, was Darryl Dennis.
    The News-Times, when it came to my development, was invaluable to me. If it hadn't been for them, I wouldn't be where I am today. The sports editor there is Jason Sonski. He's a good guy. Really young for a sports editor and he knows his stuff. If you have talent, he'll give you work to do and you'll be able to get some good clips.
    I did more than my share of road races, horeshoe events, and agate. But, as I got better and I developed, I was given better assignments. There are plenty of high school sports to cover there. They cover Western football and basketball as well.
    It's a good place to cut your teeth, but you have to work hard at it. By the time I was ready to start looking for another spot higher on the food chain, I had enough clips in a traditional newspaper setting that the school I went to meant didly.
    In this business, it's about actual experience, not the glitzy school.
    Hope that helped.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Damn, I wasn't joking. About that or the part about never hiring a Missouri graduate.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bird is the word.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

can anyone here believe the nerve of this assclown?

5. lono

lono Active Member

Just the latest in a long line of assclowns, douchenozzles and dicksnorts ... thanks for playing, sellmate. You can pick up your t-shirt on the way out. ::)

6. Swin Cash is a UConn girl, too, and she's much hotter.

Draft saved Draft deleted