1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much does AP pay?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by L.B. Hooligan, Feb 10, 2008.

1. L.B. Hooligan

L.B. Hooligan New Member

Just curious of how much does AP pay its writers and editors? Since they are AP I assume they pay pretty well (for the industry that is), but I could be wrong. Anybody have an idea or number?
    Thanks
    ;D

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Considerably better than all but the largest of papers...

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Wrong board, newbie.

4. I'm too lazy to google it at the moment, but the AP wire guild contract is posted online somewhere.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

the thread has been moved, so it's in the right place. anyone gonna give the kid an answer?

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I would if I knew the answer.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Top reporter minimum at AP after 6 years is $1170/week

http://newsguild.org/scales/index.php?ID=4937

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Which means, if you're an AP reporter working in a small non-coastal city, you're raking it in, thanks to a lower cost of living.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But it's a lot of fucking work. Ask Alan Robinson (though he's not in a small non-coastal city).

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Trust me, clerk, the guy in Omaha ain't making what the guy in NY or LA is.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I would also think people with specialty titles make more than those who don't. I.E. just because you cover sports doesn't mean you get the "sports writer" tag. National writers probably also make more than people at bureaus in less populated states.

12. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

I don't know if I quite understand the chart of salaries spnited posted. does that mean that's starting pay at these places? Or is it the maximum pay at these places? I saw my place listed on the chart and that number is considerably higher than what I or anyone else I know of in sports is making.

Draft saved Draft deleted