1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much does a car starter cost?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, May 14, 2008.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Was at work last night. Stopped at CVS, walked out, car didn't start. Girlfriend had to drive 40 minutes to come pick me up.
    This morning, car started OK. We stopped at a place to get coffee; car didn't restart.
    Got a tow, car guys say start. Price: $380.
    Does that sound right?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

High, but not out-of-the-ballpark high. A new starter could run around $150 depending on the type of car. Then if it's in a hard-to-reach spot it make take some extra labor to get the old one off the car and the new one on.

Could try to save costs by finding a rebuilt starter or taking the starter itself to someone for repair. A dealer probably won't do any of that.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think mine is going too. You can buy some time by tapping the shell of the starter underneath your car with a hammer. My downstairs neighbor did it for me the other day. It apparently works all the time some of the time.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Just like this Panther cologne.

5. joe

joe Active Member

I'd have the battery checked before I shelled out $300-plus for a starter. Sounds more like a battery problem to me.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A car problem thread with no posts from ijag... what is this place coming to...

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If it was the battery, it wouldn't start sometimes, but not others.

Least according to my limited car knowledge.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

My bad. I thought you were talking an automatic car starter.
    While we're on that topic, what's the price of an auto starter/alarm?

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Customer got quoted around $580 to add a remote starter to his new Tundra. Should be less than that if you don't go through a dealership.

10. Rhody,

Just had my car let me sit in Wilkes-Barre a ew weeks ago. Had to replace the starter and the battery and it cost me $245. Granted, I go to a home-town mechanic who's a family friend and is always pretty fair. Didn't charge me for labor this time.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That will work MAYBE once or twice and that's it. I've tapped many a starter in vain in my day.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Do not get me going on NEPA. I had a car break down on the way to see Penn St one weekend. Broke down on I-80. Nursed it to a town off 380 just south of WB...of course I had to rent a car, hotel for the night and get a new engine. It was there for like 2-weeks because it happened during Thanksgiving week and garage was closed Thursday and Friday and couldn't get down during the week. Total cost $3,000. Yikes.

There is now way a starter/alarm costs 6-bills. I had one installed a number of years ago for less than half that. (just be sure you find a reputable place)

Draft saved Draft deleted