1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much do you text?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jan 9, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Bblr.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Funny you posted that. I used a pay phone in November. The last time before that was June 2007.

So, I've spent 50 cents on "mobile calls" in the past two years.

3. Ain't that the truth. When did texting become so important when dating? I've only gone over my 400 a month twice - shockingly I was dating someone both times. Funny how that works.

Overall, I don't text much (maybe because I don't date much). I will go through bouts of texting (big sporting events, trips, etc.), but generally I doubt I go much over 100 in a typical month. Although I don't check often unless I am concerned I am going to go over.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I don't necessarily prefer to text - I'd actually much rather call and talk to someone, especially in a business setting - but I have several friends who rely solely on text messages as their form of communication (well, that and Facebook, which I'm not all that hip to).

Count me in amongst the group that texts with proper punctuation, capitalization, etc. As a matter of fact, I know of a few people who are greatly irritated by my lack of willingness 2 tlk 2 u like this.

I'll agree with those who say that texting is rude in a group setting as well. My family's all gathered together for Christmas dinner and board & card games the rest of the night. My sister, who never quite completely had manners, is sitting at the table texting away with whomever with the ringer set as loud as possible. Not only did we have to deal with the "It's your turn" reminders, but the loud BEEP! every 20 seconds. Unreal.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I try to phone text in proper English, but with a non-QWERTY keyboard, you have to shorten at times or it will take forever to talk back and forth

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

My next text message will be my first. I've typed e-mail from a cell phone and hated it.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

texting?
    Other than when my son was born, I don't think I've texted more than 5 times in a month.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I text hockey scores to HC during her performances. She picks them up during her dressing room breaks.

If I'm home I do it from the computer instead of my cell phone 'cause it's free. Other than that, nada.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

When the future Mrs. Appgrad and I started hanging out, it was 100 a day. When we started dating, it became about 150. Then I turned her on to gmail. Now we e-mail back and fourth all day, at our convenience.
    Now we only text for quick messages. Buy milk. I am outside your work, ready to go to lunch. Things like that.

10. KG

KG Active Member

She sure did.

Actually, when I use Yahoo or AIM on my phone, those count as texts too. That's were the majority of my texting comes in.

Friend of a friend, I can easily go through 130 in a day. Both the texts in and out count, so it adds up quickly.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's standard, for the use of the instant messengers to count. E-mail doesn't, but on the phone, it's a bit more cumbersome, at least with the phone I have.

12. A disturbing amount since we went to an unlimited texts plan.

Draft saved Draft deleted