1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much do you text?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jan 9, 2009.

1. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Texting is okay I guess if you need to explain something quickly in a situation in which you cannot make a phone call for some time. But I always think it's so stupid how people spend two minutes typing out a message they could have spoken in about 15 seconds. I know people that will text back and forth with the same person for 5, 10, 30 minutes...and all they communicate could have been covered in 1/10th the amount of time on the actual telephone.

I also think texting is rude because it constantly interrupts people when they're in the middle of something. It seems like if you don't answer a phone call, people understand you may be unable to make a personal call...but should you fail to respond to a text in a timely fashion, you get even more of them and then they either think you've been kidnapped or you're a huge asshole.

Then again, if we did away with text messaging, how else would Michael Silver remind us how hip he is?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Did Daisy fess up?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This is the front-runner in the TMI Post of the Year for the 2009 SJ Awards.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

My plan is 400 a month. I usually have to stop texting the last day or so to stay under, but I make it work. The months I go over, it's undoubtedly because I'm involved with a girl.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I hate texting, I really do. Such a pain in the ass. I can understand it to save on long distance, sort of, but if you're in the area just freaking call me. Have a real conversation. And if it is just to make plans, it goes a lot quicker with a call. Much more constructive in the very least. I'm just glad my mom doesn't know how to text because I know it would be non-stop, especially when she is bored at work.

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

We have a winner. I text maybe 30 times a month, only for quick "Where we watching the game" type stuff or if I know one of my buddies is at work and can't be bothered with a call. I HATE trying to explain something in a text that I could say in 20 seconds in a phone conversation. Maybe when I get one of those fancy keyboard phones my attitude will change.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I hate checking my voice mail from my Blackberry. Hate it.

Because of this, if there is ever something I need to read right away (baby sick, car trouble, yada, yada, yada) I tell my wife to text me.

If I am stuck in a long meeting I will be damned if I am checking voice mail, but I can take a quick glance at a text. She knows a voice mail might not be heard for hours.

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I hear you. It's perfect for quick thoughts, "Grab some milk on the way home," etc., but for a conversation? No.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I don't text. I'll take them - I don't believe my plan charges for such, but I don't text. E-mail. Always. Even a phone call if they can put up with me, which helps explain the low-cost deal.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Y'all clearly don't have many talkative friends. If I get my family on the phone, it's 15 minutes at least -- for my mom, you can double that. Doesn't matter what the conversation is about. The talking starts, and it's hard to get some people off the phone. Texting is infinitely better if it's a timely request and you don't have time to talk.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Once in a generation.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

NVR.

What's textspeak for Luddite?

Draft saved Draft deleted