1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much do you text?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jan 9, 2009.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I don't send many texts but JR (God bless him!) updates me on Brampton and Leafs games via text when I'm doing a show. However, he usually sends them for free from our cell providers website.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A lot. But you can count the people I text with regularly on one hand. A woman I dated for years (known nowadays as Satan) introduced me to texting a few years ago. It was her primary form of communication with the world. After I got a phone bill charging me 10 cents or 25 cents or whatever it was per text, I changed to an unlimited plan. I've never had phone sex, but we did have "text message sex" a few times while she was sitting in all-day meetings. With her out of my life, my texting behavior has changed. I have a few guy friends who I text with all day long. Like during the game last night I must have sent and received 100 text messages, including my particularly inspired, "The Ref has a Scatman Crothers vibe going."

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I probably sent/received 2,500 texts -- including 113 some random September Saturday -- in a month's time with an ex-girlfriend. She said she reached 300 most days, which is complete insanity.

The problem? I didn't have a text plan.

At $0.20 per text, it sure added up ... if I remember correctly, the one bill was around $900.

(Yes, I have a plan now :))

4. KG

KG Active Member

I had to get unlimited, because I kept blowing through the 1,500 I was paying for in no time at all.

5. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

I hardly ever text -- maybe 5-6 times a month. Outgoing texts are a quarter a piece on my plan (incoming are free), and I don't see any reason to add a text package until my daughter gets a cell phone.

I sometimes text my wife from our cell carrier's Web site, which is free, but only when I can't drop everything and make an actual call.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn, and y'all get on my case about using my phone. :D

I only had about 150 texts sent/received last month and a couple dozen more than that in November (I blame the layoffs).

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Anywhere from 2K to 4K per month ... Or "way too much!"

RB

8. 4K?

That would be an average of 130 a day.

I don't see how that's possible.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Heh.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

When I was in a relationship maybe 100 a month. Now, less than 10 a month.

:'(

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you can get a detailed bill with texts sent and received. But I don't do the paper billing anymore, so I don't know if you can get that feature.

If not, go to your account online and it should have everything documented. AT&T tried to screw me over like that before I even had texting on my phone, saying I had over 1,000 texts. The lady looked at my profile, saw I didn't have a texting plan on my contract, and got rid of the charges.

Now I have unlimited texting, which is only $15 or so a month.

12. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I text a lot, and I prefer it to actual calls for a multitude of reasons:

1. I'm a writer, so I express myself with the written word better than the spoken word.

2. Texting gives me a few extra seconds to think about what I want to say to the bastard on the other end.

3. Texting dispsenses with all the pleasantries I hate about phone calls. "Hello. Hello. How are you? Good, how are you? Just fine. Where you at? (I love that one). Oh, I'm with Sarah, Pete, Mike and Chelsea at the circle jerk. Where you at? I'm at Wal-Mart shopping for Suzie's diapers and picking up my birth control. What you been up to today? Oh not much. How 'bout you? Me neither.

Then, after 90 seconds of bullshit, you get to what the call is all about. Texting seems to get right to the point.

4. If I answer a call, I feel I must pretty much drop everything I'm doing and devote my undivided attention to the person on the other line. So if I'm busy, the call is truly a pain in the ass. With texting, I can pretty much continue what I'm working on and drop the other person a few quick words.

5. I tried to explain to this asshat who used to work for me that when we're out covering games, that he should send updates of his game via text and not call me while I'm covering a game. He never listened. So, when his game was at halftime, he'd call me and tell me everything that happened during the first half of his game. Meanwhile, my game hadn't reached halftime, so I'm keeping stats AND posting a live blog, so I am ultra busy, and now I have to carry on a conversation, too. Just text me the damn score, and I'll get the details when I edit the story back in the office.

Did I mention I prefer texting?

Draft saved Draft deleted