1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much do you text?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jan 9, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I just looked at my cell phone bill. I sent and received 1,794 text messages last month. I had no idea I texted that much.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm barely over 600, but most of my friends don't have text plans. So while I'd rather text in most cases, I end up having to talk to those loosers.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You might not have.

I just called AT&T, which said I exceeded my 200-texts-a-month limit by more than 3,000. Those of you who know my low-tech nature will probably have no trouble believing I'm being honest with AT&T when I say there's no way that's correct.

But, the woman I spoke with had a solution: Be proactive in signing up for unlimited texting, only $15 a month more, and "they'll probably issue a credit for some of your overage." I did, and they did.

Scam? It sure feels that way. I couldn't prove I didn't send and receive 3,000 text messages, but I have yet to see the proof that I did. My next call will be to ask them to send me an itemized list of recipients and senders for each of those messages. Think they can provide that?

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I had 1,365 to Verizon customers and 1,456 to people outside Verizon in one month.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I have unlimited texting. I was just amazed at how many texts I sent.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You should be able to access that on their Web site. I just went to Verizon, signed in and looked at an itemized list of mine.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I sent and received 649. I thought I texted a lot. Apparently not.

It does go up a lot for me during baseball season, because I text my dad Yankees updates while he is in business meetings.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just looked at an itemized list of texts with AT&T. Go to your Bill page and click "view full bill." Then it lists all your calls, text messages and date transferred in the last month.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Thanks, Angola. I asked the woman if there was a way to get the itemized list, and she said, "I don't know. I think so."

Maybe she knows what I'll see when I call it up, and she wasn't so eager for that to happen. There's no way I sent that many text messages (and yes, I know everybody says that).

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I send and receive about 10 a month.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think I have to send at least 500 a month, mostly because CC is transfixed by texting. It's amazing to me how often I have to clear out my sentbox, which has a limit of 200.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

15 bucks more? I pay 5.99 for unlimited texting on two lines.
    I text a lot. We bought The Queen one of those "qwerty" keyboard phones and taught her how to text and now the kids hate me. She texts the hell out of them. I was at the Duke-Virginia Tech game with my son and we each got about 20 texts from her. I think the kid sent back STFU at one point and she started in on my phone.
    I'd hate to see HIS bill. He's living with us for a while since his job just sent him back. The Squeeze is eight hours away. That text signal goes off ALL THE TIME.

Draft saved Draft deleted