1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much do you read? What do you read?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I usually have three or four books stacked up next to my chair in the living room. Along with Outside, Esquire, Men's Journal, SI, Newsweek, Money and various hunting and fly-fishing magazines.

When I'm in the living room, I'm normally reading and only half paying attention to the TV (depends on the show). I probably average two hours per day of recreational reading.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I like to alternate fiction with nonfiction...read a novel, then read a nonfiction work of some sort, then back to fiction.

I love periodicals...mentioned my favorites over on the magazine thread.

I really, really wish basketball had a publication that had the same format and same level of writing as Pro Football Weekly or The Hockey News. :-\

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I read a lot, and although I'm not a journalist, I'm sure it helps my writing. I read a ridiculous number of weekly and monthly magazines - SI, Vanity Fair, GQ, Esquire, Entertainment Weekly are among my favorites - somewhere around 20 magazines a month. I usually read 2-3 books a month, mostly non-fiction, although I do read the occasional chick lit book. I,too, like to read more than one at a time and am glad to see others do, too.

My parents are not book readers. I must have picked up the magazine thing from them, though. My dad finished a book this week for the first time in about 10 years. I'm so proud!

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

If you guys are in the mood for something light, quirky and a little historic, check out Sarah Vowell's books. Latest (and I think it's a year old) is "Assassination Vacation," in which she travels to sites dealing with presidential assassinations. She's a bit of a history nut. They're quick reads, just plowed through three in a few days. Like I said, nothing really deep, there, but she does turn a really, really nice, elegant phrase from time to time.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Love Sarah Vowell.

I would do things to her that are illegal in 49 states.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I dunno, Zeke. Not your typical beauty. She has a strange mind, tho, so that's a turn-on.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's the voice.

Something about it is so strangely magnetic.

When she's on TAL, I find myself wishing she would say nasty, nasty things.

8. writing irish

Perhaps I'm not the only poster who doesn't know who Sarah Vowell is. Zeke, could you enlighten?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Vowell

[​IMG]

She has a really squeaky voice that some people hate and some love.

You can hear her regularly on NPR's This American Life, and her books are good, quirky reads.

10. writing irish

Wow, I'm a regular TAL listener so I now know exactly who she is. Connection made. Haven't read her books though. I have to agreee that she's pelvis-as-feed-bag material. I'll always sport a metaphorical (and occasionally, literal) boner for bookish brunettes with short hair. Rowr. It's that hot librarian thing.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Think we could talk her into putting on some Lisa Loeb librarian glasses?

12. writing irish

Wearing Lisa Loeb glasses, a smile, and nothing else. That sounds like a recipe for fun with Ms. Vowell.

Draft saved Draft deleted