1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much do you pay freelancers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Logan, Jul 25, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I got mileage paid for all my $30 assignments. So I would make a few extra bucks that way.

2. calibretto

calibretto Member

i was never paid $50 per story during my stringing days

3. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

Dude, I don't care if the circulation is one person, you're getting hosed.

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Last time we had a stringer, we paid $35. With gas prices now, I doubt I'd have any problem convincing the boss to up it to $50 per story. We're a 16K circ.

5. Logan

Logan New Member

First, thank you for all the responses so far.

To answer some of the questions asked:

1. Sometimes I'm the middleman and other times I'm the writer.

2. Mileage is paid at IRS rate.

3. I wasn't clear, but these are weekly papers with a 4K or lower circulation.

4. All prep sports and mostly game stories. Occassional sports features once in a while.

5. One time use. We sometimes license the stories to multiple publications.

6. We are in located near a college town where the cost of living is nearly the lowest in the state.

I agree the pay isn't too great if where in a larger metro community, especially for a five hour football game. We try to cover games where we have multiple publications interested in the content so with two team sports or events so we'd actually earn $30 for that coverage.

Again thanks for your input. If you have additional thoughts I'm listening. Thanks!

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Logan, based on all that info I'd say $30 should be fine, maybe $50 for features. Never $15. If you're spending more than an hour combined at the event AND writing it, $15 is a slap in the face.

7. Paul Hewson

Paul Hewson New Member

Logan, it has nothing to do with the cost of living. It has everything to do with the price you put on your time. When I was 20, I was happy to make a buck. Today, my kids don't eat if I write stories for $15 a pop. My time is worth much more today. I can't justify $15 for four hours of work. That's not even $4 an hour. If that's all I'm making, I'd rather be a door greeter at Walmart. At least they get a cool blue vest.

8. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Most of the smaller daily papers around here pay $25 per story with no mileage included, including my own. I feel bad about it (I have no say in the pay amount), but typically it's college kids who want experience (and would do it for nothing) and usually it's an easy assignment like football tab previews that involve calling a coach and talking for 10 minutes and writing a story in 30 minutes. In those cases, it's not such a bad deal.

9. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

:D

10. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

I string for papers all shapes and sizes all over the country and I've never been offered less than $50 per story. That includes a 5K weekly that I contribute to on occasion.

11. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

Yeah, but I hear Shitsville is loaded this season.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

We start at $60.

Draft saved Draft deleted