1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much do you pay freelancers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Logan, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Logan

Logan New Member

I'm trying to see if what we are getting paid is fair or not. I supplies stories to weekly newspapers with circulations under 4K. Is $15 a story too little or too much for one time use?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You supply stories? Are you the middleman or something? If so, that's a decent cut of the overall fee, I guess.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

$15? Did you have to drive somewhere? How many hours did you spend on the entire story (reporting, interviewing and writing)?

That is pretty crappy pay. I strung for a 10k paper and got paid $40, but most papers I've been at have paid between $50 and $75 depending on the experience of the person freelancing.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This state is anywhere from $30 to 50...
    $15 bucks, tho? that's awful. That's less than four gallons of gas...

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

If you're driving somewhere, spending time at an event and then writing it, there is no way $15 is anywhere close to being adequate. Unless, of course, you're a college kid just doing it for clips and to get your foot in the door. Then take whatever cash you can get as a bonus.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Most of our paid stringers get between $25 and $35 per story.

One guy gets $50 per story, but he's literally good enough to work at a daily.

7. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

When we used college kids to freelance for us at my last shop, pay was $25, $35 if they had to go to a neighboring city. If you're a professional, though, I usually tried to get you between $50 and $75, depending on what my budget looked like that month.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Minimum $50 here.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I made $50 per story in college. Some out of town papers paid $100. Other around $35.

But if you just "supplies" (see first post) stories, $15 sound about right.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

$15 is offensive.

I'd say that standard is $50-$60 for prep gamers and $75 and up for everything else.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Market is getting flooded with quality writers... would guess those rates would fall.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

True, but $15 is still offensive. Hell, as a college student 15 years ago I never got less than $50 to string games.

Draft saved Draft deleted