1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much do broadcasters make?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, May 9, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know it's uncool to ask someone how much they make, so I'm askin' indirectly.
    How much does a guy or gal working a weekly NFL or college game make (PbP,color,sideline).
    A baseball game of the week. An NCAA national or regional game.
    Covering four rounds of a golf tournament or two NASCAR races.
    I know the big names usually have a contract in the six figures, (perhaps more in a few cases) and it covers all of their network work, but what about the guys that seem to pop up here and there. Anyone know?

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

All the broadcasters in the NFL pool their salaries together and give it to Joe Buck.

3. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Colleges typically pay the collegiate broadcasting salary if you're part of the sports network for that university. Also, most guys who do PBP or Color on the weekends, have some other function during the week, whether it's working for that specific sports property doing ad sales, or working for the university in some capacity.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know someone who does freelance sideline reporting for ESPN and a few of the networks and he can make as much as $5K a game, but I'm not sure if that includes travel.

If they're full-time employees at ESPN or a network, I would say the salaries probably start at $100K and go up considerably.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

For a mid-week ACC/SEC basketball game, or the 3rd or 4th best college football game on a regional network, I'd guess a color commentator get $1500-$2000 plus mileage for a one-off deal; maybe a night's hotel stay if they travel a long way.

6. BRoth

BRoth Member

Have some friends doing minor league broadcasting and I would say the pay may almost be comparable to what newspaper folks get. They all do a lot more than just broadcasting though. It usually is a "Director of Communications" position that entails all media releases and guides, programs and some ad sales too.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Isn't this a little like asking how much journalists make, in that it can vary drastically from $0 to over $1 million?

RB

Draft saved Draft deleted