1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much did you get for your last pay raise?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Still a Bulls fan, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Bears00

Bears00 Member

5.6 percent

2. sjfan1

sjfan1 New Member

I've been at my current place a year and a half, and let's put it this way -- I've made as much in the past hour as I made the first hour I spent inside this building.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

$100

However, it was because I came in one month before the fiscal year end. They gave merit raises to employees here at least 6 months, and standard (but prorated) 3 percent hikes to the newbies. Newbies got a percentage of the 3 percent raise, up to 50 percent.

I'd been here all of 1 month, so I got 1/12th of the 3 percent.

Considering the pay jump that I got by just getting here, I'm not going to complain one bit.

4. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I bumped this old thread rather than my "What can I do?" pizza delivery thread. My editor worked with the entire part-time budget through the end of the year, ordered two part-timers he never uses to take salary-cappish pay cuts and figured out how much money he then has to play with for the weeks I'll be working (everything excluding the summer, he figured).

The offer is an unbelieveable raise somewhere between 22 and 24 percent on an already very decent wage, and a guarantee of eight more hours each week than I'm working now.

My car is closing in on 96K miles and is rapidly approaching at least a new timing belt and clutch, maybe more. So if I continue commuting at the current rate, the raise might not even cover the car repairs by the end of the semester.

I've ruled out pizza delivery because enough family and friends told me I'd get mugged and/or shot, but I thought about applying at a couple of nice restaurants or somewhere else local where I could pull bank, whether I enjoyed the work or not, while saving my car for a while.

I think I know what the consensus is going to be, but I've got to ask here.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

i got four percent in december. it wasn't much, but it was more than what most everyone else on staff got -- at least that's what the executive editor told me.

now, our company is so goal oriented that i think most raises will be strictly tied to those and no longer based on subjective stuff.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I can't remember the last pay raise I got. Seriously.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

They took me off working for tips.

8. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

62.5 cents an hour...that's right 1/2 of a cent

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My son made a killing delivering pizzas and never encountered any trouble. Maybe he was lucky.

I got a pay raise not long ago and it was MUCH bigger than I guessed it would be.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Surprising since your SE's a prick... :D

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

But he recognizes talent quite well.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

$.75 per hour

Draft saved Draft deleted