1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much are VCU and Butler covered during the regular season?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If memory serves, the Richmond paper didn't staff a Richmond game at Lawrence about a decade ago where the Spiders upset a KU team, that I believe was No. 1 in the nation.

I know hindsight is 20-20, but that was a bad one. I remember arguing that in the very early days of this board.

2. Mizzougrad96

I'd be really curious what the Kentucky and UConn travel contingents are like today compared wih a decade ago. Those were the two biggest in college hoops by far back then.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I think at the clip they're going, eventually a fan site/publication will pop up. There's a very new one out there that seems to still be finding its way. But you're right, I don't really expect to find good coverage anywhere except the Star. The suburban dailies are all too small to have the resources to cover Butler regularly, and I wouldn't expect the tv stations to give them that much coverage.

Mizzougrad asked in his OP, though, how much they get covered. My point was that as far as I can tell, the Indianapolis Star is the only news outlet staffing all Butler games with a beat reporter, and that I think that reporter does a good job.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Mizzou: I can find out on UConn. I do know at least one paper that pulled back. I remember "The Horde" as it was back then.

5. Mizzougrad96

Brill's Content did a story on "The Horde" awhile back. I think several papers pulled back. There was one paper at one point that was sending three writers to every UConn road game. That's insanity.

6. Mizzougrad96

What colleges does the Indy Star cover regularly?

Indiana? Purdue? Notre Dame? Butler? Indiana State? IUPUI? Louisville?

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Indiana and Butler. They pick up Purdue coverage from the Lafayette paper.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Norwich (Conn.), the closest 7-day daily to Storrs, used to cover almost all of the UConn Big East road trips. I'm pretty sure they don't do anything on the road now.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Funny, I just picked up Woods' book today on last year's Butler run. From what I've seen, he's been there as beat guy awhile and this is his second book on Butler basketball.

10. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

According to Men's Health, Richmond is the 92nd best sports town in America. They got a D minus. At least they're in the top 100, right?

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

They're one of the ones I was talking about, Wicked. I think most others are still there.

12. When I was working at the Danbury News-Times, we covered every game men's and women's basketball road and home, and every football game.

Since then, the paper gets its Uconn content from the Connecticut Post. Neil Ostrout has been on that beat since the beginning of time, and he isn't even that old. I still know that the Courant goes home and away.....but other than those two, I don't think any other paper goes home and away consistently with the Huskies. Sad, because when I was there, almost every paper in the state other than the Waterbury Republican covered UConn home and away

Draft saved Draft deleted