1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Many Times Must a Man Fly to Stockholm?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Such an under appreciated movie.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dylan doesn't necessarily give the audience what it wants. He's not going to play a set of his greatest hits. (And, before you go buy tickets for his current tour, you might want to google his set lists. I think he's mostly doing Sinatra covers, in support of his current album.)

Dylan's not going to engage the audience. He's going to play some obscure songs. He's going to change the arrangement on some of your favorites, and he's probably going to play keyboard most of the night.

But his band is going to be tight and you're going to get a good show if you go in with an open mind.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think I'd rather pay to see his tight band then. ... and not have to see him winging it and singing off key. But I never liked Dylan much, so. ... I still don't think there is enough of an open mind that could make me get him. Some of his songs were OK lyric wise. But I always heard his voice and thought of cats screwing to a backdrop of someone scratching a chalkboard.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

LOL.

dprince57 likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

He doesn't sing off key or wing it.

This is a guy who plays a ton of shows every year.

But, he doesn't perform every song like he recorded it 40-50 years ago. He purposely rearranges them.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

You make a lot of assumptions about my attitudes in going to a concert.

I generally don't care what songs an artists chooses to play or not to play. I'm paying to hear them perform, not to listen to their greatest hits album. It'd be much cheaper to sit at home and listen to their music I've already purchased.

One of my all-time favorite concert experiences was hearing Beck at Farm Aid come out and say basically, "I was just here last month and played my music then, so fuck it, I'm doing what I want today." Then he played a fantastic set of bluegrass music. One of my all-time worst concert experiences was seeing Hootie and the Blowfish (I know, I know: What did I expect?) and they literally sounded just like their album. No variation whatsoever. I wondered if they were lip syncing. I mean I was pissed cause I think I would've been happier drinking beer in the parking lot and listening to their CD.

What I do expect is a decent performance though, since I've shelled out money for it.

The first time I went to see Bob Dylan, I had heard so many horror stories about his shows that I went mainly to be able to say that I'd seen Dylan live. My expectations were low and thankfully so. He appeared inebriated, played Girl from the North Country Woods twice, struggled to finish other songs and played a short set. The second - and last - time I went to see him was in '98 and it was much better. I still had low expectations, but the girl I was seeing at the time really wanted to go. He came out and gave a fine show. I had a great time. I love his music, but never had a strong desire to go see him again.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've never seen him live. But I have seen videos and TV of his live performances. It's got to be a "beauty / eye of the beholder" thing, because for me off key doesn't even quite capture him. He mumbles unintelligible things. I've seen schizophrenics and drunks outside the Port Authority mumbling more intelligibly.

I am yanking your chain a little, but I am serious about not getting it with him. Never did. It's not just the actual performances, in which he comes off like he has OD'd on heroin. I think even his lyrics are overrated. Some OK songs. But I just don't find anything of his catalogue that I know (and I am admittedly limited to his more popular stuff) as deep as his fans do. Too many songs with terrible forced rhymes, such as "You have many contacts. Among the lumberjacks. To get you facts."

On the bright side, that kind of thing is a serious hit in Scandinavian academic circles. So what do I know?

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Saw Dylan twice. Once in early 2000s at BU as I said before. Great for 25 minutes or so, lousy the rest. The other was at University of Pennsylvania in 1965, when he did half acoustic, half electric with sidemen later known as The Band. So that was a pretty good show.

9. YankeeFan

I just got around to reading this article. Pretty funny.

10. YankeeFan

Do we think Dylan will even pick up his prize?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I am a huge Dylan. Huge fan.
    I love his live shows and his studio work.

That said, this award is ridiculous.

12. YankeeFan

Not flying to Stockholm:

Draft saved Draft deleted