1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many times are you going to ask me that?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alleyallen, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

Agreed. This is why people need to stop writing out interviews in advance. Ask a question, get an answer, and if there is more to be said, keep on it. Don't just move on to No. 2.
    The best stories do not come about because someone entered the interview with the best questions.
    As Babs said, they come from your ability to listen.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I often see something similar in the case of reporters who will continue to ask variations of the same question even after it's been answered. It's all you can do to keep from screaming, "are you deaf or just fucking stupid?!"

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But what if it hasn't been answered to the depth they want? You may want it as a throwaway quote...what if they're basing a whole story on this one topic? In gangbangs, you're kind of left to let everyone go as they go.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I know what you're saying, but that isn't what I'm talking about. More like this:

Police Chief IJAG: "Officers arrested two suspects outside the bank."

Me: "Where exactly were they arrested? Right outside the bank, or down the street, or somewhere else close by?

Chief: "Right outside the bank."

Radio Idiot: "So when you say they were right outside, do you mean right outside the front door?"

Chief: "Yes, right outside the front door."

TV Idiot: "Is that the front door that leads into the front lobby?"

Chief: "Um, yes."

Radio Idiot: "How far outside the front door would you say they were when they were arrested?"

Chief: "Well, I don't know if I could say exactly....maybe 10 feet?"

TV Idiot: "To the right of the front door, to the left of the front door or right in front of the front door?"

Chief: "Uhhh....to the left?"

TV Idiot: "To the left if you're on the outside looking in, or to the left if you're on the inside looking out?"

Chief: "Ummm....."

Radio Idiot: "Chief, when you say 10 feet, do you actually mean three metres?"

Chief: "Uhhh......"

Me: "Chief, if I were to kill both of these brain-dead assholes right here and now, would you arrest me or would you give me a medal?"

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yes. How DARE they try to get details.

Those bastards.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I guess you had to be there.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've been there, for stuff a lot more mind-numbing than that.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't doubt it. I know my experiences in this little shitstain of a town don't count for a lot in the grand scheme of things, but they're no less maddening to me.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

No, I wasn't saying that. I was just saying at least in your example there was a suspect, so probably a crime of some sort.

Mine were things like "So the new flagpost will be in front of the post office?" "Which portion of grass?"

:D

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

You win. Or maybe you lose. :D

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

What really prompted it is how reporters will hit up a coach repeatedly with the same question, over and over and over, when the answer isn't likely to change.

"Coach, what's going to happen with Joe Schmoe's contract?"

"Well, we don't talk about contracts during the season, so no comment."

"Coach, has Joe Schmoe talked about his feelings about the contract?"

"Uhm, didn't I just say we don't talk about contracts during the season?"

Draft saved Draft deleted