1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many states have you visited?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, May 21, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

30st? :D :D

I'm crossing Wisconsin off my list next month. After that, I'll have 20 left. And the majority of that was from traveling for my beat (back when I had one). I don't make trips on my own.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Why? You saw the state. I think driving through a state is more of a visit than flying in, sitting in someone's house for three days, then flying out.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Slept

19 - Not great but not terrible

Pennsylvania
    Ohio
    Michigan
    Kentucky
    Texas
    California
    Nevada
    Wyoming
    Utah
    Minnesota
    Oklahoma
    Arkansas
    Georgia
    North Carolina
    Arizona
    Virginia
    New York
    Maryland
    West Virginia

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm 49 of 50. Not sure how I'll ever get to New Hampshire.

I'm 37 of 50 on seeing state capitol buildings in person.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Feels kind of lame, but I guess if you're posting on this thread, you probably have visited a lot of states. Twenty-nine would probably be pretty good for the general population. I'm really lacking in Great Plains states and New England.

California - Business and pleasure
    Florida - Pleasure
    Illinois - Business and pleasure
    Kentucky - Business and pleasure
    Massachusetts - Business
    Missouri - Pleasure
    North Carolina - Business
    Wisconsin - Pleasure/family
    Colorado - Business
    Georgia - Business
    Indiana - Live
    Louisiana - Business
    Michigan - Business, pleasure, live
    Pennsylvania - Business
    Tennessee - Family
    Virginia - Pleasure
    Arizona - Business
    Hawaii - Business and pleasure
    Iowa - Pleasure
    Minnesota - Business and pleasure
    Ohio - Pleasure
    Texas - Business and pleasure
    Washington - Business
    Arkansas - Family
    Maryland - Business and pleasure
    Mississippi - Family
    Nevada - Pleasure
    New York - Pleasure (Cooperstown, but never NYC)
    West Virginia - Drove through

6. joe

joe Active Member

Slept in: 32 states, one district. Lived in: bold

Missouri
    Illinois
    Kentucky
    Florida
    California
    Washington

Oregon
    Montana
    Minnesota
    Wisconsin
    North Dakota
    Ohio
    Indiana
    West Virginia
    Arkansas
    Mississippi
    Tennessee
    Louisiana
    Georgia
    Massachusetts
    Arizona
    Nevada
    Texas
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Kansas
    Colorado
    Oklahoma
    Wyoming
    South Dakota
    Alabama
    Idaho
    D.C.

If we're counting driven through, add Nebraska, Utah, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland and South Carolina.

7. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

A mere 24. Obviously, I have a lot of traveling to do. Top is probably Washington as I'd love to see Seattle. Followed by Vegas.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm 35 of 50 if we count "drive-bys." Earlier in life, when I would be bored and take road trips, I'd occasionally drive a few extra miles (or in some cases an hour or two) just to cross the state line, step out of the car to physically set foot in the state, then turn around and head back.
    Did that with California, New Hampshire, Kentucky, South Dakota and Maine.
    The rest I've at least driven through, which is my standard for visiting a state. If you've seen more than the inside of an airport, you can say you've been there.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Where I'm really bad is countries: Canada and Germany. That's it. Airport layover in the Netherlands, but that doesn't really count. Two things intimidate me: Language barriers. Cost of travel.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Lived in — Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina and (presently) Tennessee

Visited — Florida, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, California, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Illinois, Ohio, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Maine & Missouri

Countries visited — France & Italy

11. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Michigan, Kentucky, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Wyoming (Those four were easy), Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Kansas, Iowa, Nevada, Washington, DC - however it counts...

In one trip after I graduated HS, myself and two friends went from Alabama->Tennessee->Kentucky->Ohio->Indiana->Illinois->Wisconsin->Minnesota->Iowa->Kansas->Missouri->Tennessee->Alabama

We saw 17 sports stadiums and watched 5 games. Took $250 on the trip spent my last $3 in Memphis on the way home.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Other than Alaska and Hawaii, what's been the toughest state for everyone to visit?
    Mine was Kentucky. I went to every single state around it, but never seemed able to get closer than 50 miles from it. Was even supposed to go cover an SEC football game in Lexington once, but the trip got kiboshed at the last minute. It was like the fates were conspiring to keep me out of there, so it became sort of a mission to get there at least once.
    Finally took a detour when I had some extra time on a trip to St. Louis and hit the extreme southwestern tip. Crossed the bridge where you can see the Mississippi and Ohio merge, which was cool. The rest of the 20 minutes I spent in the state? Meh.

Haven't been there yet, but I think Vermont is in the same boat. Way up in the corner, so you have to actually be going there to go there. Not like a lot of states where you can pass through on the way to somewhere else.

Draft saved Draft deleted