1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many really dumb errors can a NYT reporter make in one story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by finishthehat, Jul 22, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

really, really strange.
    If Cronkite didn't have a file obit prepared on him, that's weird. If he did, and it had those mistakes in it. That's even weirder.
    If the reporter did the article on a tight deadline, that's weird. Famous people have obits ready. You just stick in a few grafs and go.
    Just really, really weird.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

And finally, Walter Cronkite did not really die.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just another dagger in whatever public perception trmains that we are "professional".

4. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

jayfarrar, just to clarify and in the big picture, i really don't care, but the reporter in question did not write the obit. the reporter wrote an appraisal, which at the ny times can be an appreciation/critique of a person's life/work.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I think Cronkite would tell her to keep her appreciation to herself, if that horeshit's the best she can do.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

You should have seen it before it was edited. She even originally misspelled Walter Cronkite
    R-o-g-e-r M-u-d-d.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

OK, that makes much more sense. But that means that she didn't use the Times obit as source and background material.
    Or the story went out with no editing or the story was edited and nobody caught the mistakes.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

There are certain dates in history that are absolutely ingrained in us. Those are dates I think everyone beyond sixth grade should know without trouble. Frankly, I think the first moon landing is one of those dates. Then again, I have a head for numbers. I accept that some people don't.

If you're a reporter and you're covering a story that involves the date of the first lunar landing, there's no excuse for you to not get it right.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

If you're 45 or older, you should know most or all of those facts, but fact-check just to be sure.

If you're younger and/or just don't know, then you do a thorough job fact checking.

In a roundabout way, this reminds me of so-called informed sports fans under the age of 30 who, if asked, couldn't tell you two of the teams for which Nolan Ryan pitched, or if asked to name their all-time NBA team wouldn't include anybody who retired before 1990 because they don't have a clue.

The point is, the appreciation for history, even recent history, is zilch.

10. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

And that's the way it is...

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It's weird because it seems she got damn near everything in the story wrong. As unacceptable as it might be, I can understand flipping through a source book and focusing on the wrong date looking for the moon landing or something. Or, thinking "I know that" and just slamming a date in without checking.

But to fuck up ALL that? It's like she was in high school copying the answers to the wrong test, or like she was using the wrong calendar or something. Really weird.

12. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Wow. One of the commenters made me spit my drink:

"I'm sure Alessandra considers these errors her own personal September 12th."

Draft saved Draft deleted