1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many per week?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sheri, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Sheri

Sheri Member

Nah, any investigative piece, if done right, can be local. And that community stuff, that just sells a lot of people short - the readers and the journalists.
    The thinking that a community paper has to be all blowjobs and grinning kids is bullshit because the readers from the community still watch national and international news. The trick to turn, is providing the context to make it both relevant and stimulating.

The cute kids are fine, I guess, if you only want to sell the paper to their parents and grandparents.

I've done several investigative pieces here and not all were totally within the community, but damn, they are appreciated. And it feels good.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I've made the same argument where I'm at. Not many people care about the grip-and-grins, but if you don't get one in the paper, the editor and publisher hear about it.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It really depends on the size of the paper and how many other duties you have.

If you have the luxury of being a reporter who does nothing except report, you will be expected to do a bit more. If you are also doing pagination, wire editing, photography, web stuff, etc..... well, that takes time, as well. So it's sort of a given you wouldn't be expected to write as much.

At my last position, I was a fulltime paginator/editor, but I volunteered to do some writing because I enjoyed it and wanted to avoid getting too stale.

Draft saved Draft deleted