1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many per week?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sheri, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Sheri

Sheri Member

I guess I should clarify. The blowjobs are what I call the bullshit, community based fluffy shit I hate doing and I'm pretty sure, almost everyone hates reading except for those mentioned in the caption or article. Hate 'em.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Don't blow anybody on the way to the parking lot.[/clerks]

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I don't mandate any story counts in our quaint 36K shop.

I want the news covered. That seems to take care of it.

As for me, I don't write nearly enough, unless you count heds and the newspaper equivalent of tweets.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Better way to look at it is inch count.
    My average inch count is about 150 a week with some weeks going into 200 plus and I've never had a week less than 100.
    Normal production is one enterpise story every week, five stories off my beat, a couple of brights and a weekly crime roundup that is part of a larger enterprise package.
    I think that's about right for a 40-hour work week.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

12-15 depending on the week.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Hey, get back here.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

It all depends on the paper. At some smaller weeklies, I seem the same byline 20 times an edition. (At least it seems that way.) I write about 5-6 a week on average. Sometimes more, sometimes less. More in the winter than summer usually.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

24-30 seems awfully high no matter what kind of shop you're in, unless you're considering every two-inch brief a whole story. I'd figure three hours per story. That'd give you about 13 a week, less if you're doing other things. If you're at a daily, there are going to be days when you don't have anything in the paper. But you're always working the next one. Averaging two a day isn't unreasonable on either side.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Since August I've probably had a minimum of 11 items a week in the paper - some weeks have been closer to 18 - plus another five or six Web posts a week.

Now I'm covering the FCS playoffs, a coaching search and basketball, so there won't be any letup anytime soon.

But come May, I'll be reaching to come up with five articles a week.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

And the bean counters who think that's ALL you should be doing, plus the bullshit "investigative journalism" that has nothing to do with your community.

11. highlander

highlander Member

Thanks for reminding me of the greatest of "Clerks."

12. highlander

highlander Member

I had to add this up but during football season, I usually write around 18 to 22 stories divided among the four issues of our various papers. Also included in that is laying out 8 to 10 pages.

Draft saved Draft deleted