1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many per week?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sheri, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Sheri

Sheri Member

Articles.
    How many are you required to write per week or how many on average do you complete?

If you are also a photographer, how many different photo submissions do you complete per week?

Just curious...
    Sheri

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

None explicitly required. But I usually write three or four, then shoot a couple of videos, layout, and do some other tasks.

3. Sheri

Sheri Member

Okay, what number (or range) would seem too many? roughly.

Reason, we just lost our reporter and were told she couldn't be replaced (hiring freeze). I've decided I need to learn what a normal expectation should be and then stick to that, so that I don't become insane or divorced.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You will get to do all the work you did before, plus half the work of the people who left, and you are expected to put in no more than 40 hours, or you will be the next to go.

Love,

Your Bosses. ;)

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

there's not a cut-and-dried answer to that. it depends on the size of the paper, the type of stories, etc. i can remember churning out 7-8 stories in a day on some occasions and usually 20-plus per week on average when i was a 1-man sports desk. many of those, however, were often 8-inch gamers taken from coach reports. throw in taking photos and doing layout and it could get hairy.

6. spud

spud Member

I don't know many papers that will have you fill a quota for articles in a week, just that you get done what needs to get done on your beat and elsewhere. Last week I wrote 11 or 12 stories plus a bunch of prep roundup stuff, and it's not going to be that many this week -- maybe five or six by comparison because football's done and a couple teams are out of town.

Just depends on a few things, I guess.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

At my previous shop, the full-time reporters were required to do five stories a week. I considered a collection of news briefs a byline for purposes of meeting quota.

There were some weeks when all I wrote was my column. There were other weeks when I'd write two or three news stories, my column, crime briefs and a gamer.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

The place I worked at wanted 8-10 per week, If we ever got 10, it would have been "Why didn't you write 12?", we do 12 "Why didn't you do 15?"

Never could do enough for those fucking bosses.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Did you work with me at my current shop?

10. Sheri

Sheri Member

Alrite.
    I've been counting in other papers, communities and dailies, and I've decided no more than 24-30 per week, that's absolutely it. Which is 12-15 per issue, plus one column, plus doing lay-out and editing of freelance stuff, etc. And every fucking lameass blowjob event that goes down. Oh, and all the photography.

Actually, if the community wants those blowjob stories so badly, they're going to have to start documenting them because there's too much real news going on to fuck around with that.

Thank you, your replies were helpful!

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

24-30 per week, plus photos and blowjobs?

Damn. You're going to be busy.

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Nah, I got laid off (thank god!!).

Draft saved Draft deleted